Video from Pennsylvania's highest point

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
tioga

by tioga » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:14 pm

James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:James_W and redneck: What is this bashing of the eastern United States mountains? Have you guys ever even been to Pennsylvania? I bet you would have a different view on the mountains there if you spent some considerable time there. And why are the California mountains suddenly so big? There are mountains in this world that would make them look like mere hills. Note, I am not saying that the California mountains are bad; I have been to California once and really enjoyed the beauty it had to offer. However, I agree with Sarah.Simon that the eastern mountains are a completely different type of mountain than the western mountains.

Also, James_W, I agree that the eastern US mountains may not contain 'ancient' forests, as most of the territory there has been logged over at least once. However, one thing I noticed on that map was that there is considerable more forests in the eastern US compared to the western US. Believe me, it is not all cities, highways, and suburbs out here. Try going to northern Maine, northcentral Pennsylvania, or a number of other places and you will see that the eastern US does indeed have 'wild' areas and beauty. So, again, I stress my first point; spend time in these mountains and you will find the great beauty there.

Born and raised in the east and have seen most of it from northern Ontario to southern Florida. I doubt there is a place you have seen that I have not.

Sorry if it sounded like I was "pissing" but I just don't get it when people try to say that the East is all just a bunch of hills. I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic region (so, even shorter than most of the popular destinations in the East), but I still have a great respect for the mountains there. But I guess it is very much different for each person. If you expect to get the 'awe' feeling that one might get in the High Sierras in the lower mountains of Pennsylvania, then you will probably go away disappointed. There is something else there that keeps bringing me back. Like MoapaPk said, "the woods, even the swamps near home were filled with flowers, wild animals and I was filled with awe." So, I am not disrespecting the western mountains at all (for they are more spectacular, in some ways) but more wondering why people have to delegitimize someone else's experience in the mountains, just because it is in a 'smaller' range. And I don't even think Mt. Davis is the best PA has to offer.

And regarding your quote about the places I have seen; have you been to northcentral PA, specifically the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon (aka. Pine Creek Gorge)? One of my favorites! (though, it wouldn't be canyon-like in the minds of a desert-southwesterner). :lol:

But keep enjoying BC! I hope to visit that area someday. :)

James_W

by James_W » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:24 pm

tioga wrote:There is something else there that keeps bringing me back. Like MoapaPk said, "the woods, even the swamps near home were filled with flowers, wild animals and I was filled with awe

I know the feeling. There are a couple of nice little spots on the Canadian Shield and a forest near Champney falls heading up Chocorua that I always feel the urge to visit again. Also one of the big boulders before you reach the fan in Huntington ravine had me visiting every year.

My comment was more towards the guy scoffing at California's mountains. I can't imagine he would have anything bad to say watching sunrise in front of Temple Crag @ 3rd lake.

tioga

by tioga » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm

My comment was more towards the guy scoffing at California's mountains. I can't imagine he would have anything bad to say watching sunrise in front of Temple Crag @ 3rd lake.

I can actually understand the sentiment of having more appreciation for the PA mountains than the mountains in CA (or anywhere else). I grew up on the Allegheny Plateau in PA and that is where I fell in love with the outdoors, so that is where my favorite spots are at. So, I guess if you really love the eastern mountains and don't care to be anywhere else, you may just scoff at CA mountains. But there is still an awe factor that comes in to play in CA, BC, or elsewhere throughout the western US/Canadian mountains that can't be ignored. They certainly are impressive to us eastcoasters (most of us). (Not sure what the word 'eastcoasters' is, but maybe something that you put your coffee mug on, but only on the east side of the coffee table.)

James_W

by James_W » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:42 pm

tioga wrote:They certainly are impressive to us eastcoasters (most of us). (Not sure what the word 'eastcoasters' is, but maybe something that you put your coffee mug on, but only on the east side of the coffee table.)

I say I am from the east coast here, does growing up on a great lake count?

tioga

by tioga » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:31 pm

James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:They certainly are impressive to us eastcoasters (most of us). (Not sure what the word 'eastcoasters' is, but maybe something that you put your coffee mug on, but only on the east side of the coffee table.)

I assume anyone who is from Ohio and eastward is from the east coast. Where I grew, I was closer to the Great Lakes than I was to the coast too. Which lake did you grow up near?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:12 pm

James_W wrote:

That makes you a Great Laker, which is completely confusing since most Lakers live in S.Cal.

James_W

by James_W » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:14 pm

tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

I assume anyone who is from Ohio and eastward is from the east coast. Where I grew, I was closer to the Great Lakes than I was to the coast too. Which lake did you grow up near?

Grew up in Kingston on Lake Ontario (great sailing)

tioga

by tioga » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:31 pm

James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

Kingston, Ontario; I would consider that a part of the east coast, even though it is close to the Great Lakes. It doesn't really fit into that Great Lake area.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:14 am

When I lived in Upstate NY, I was 300 miles from the nearest ocean. If I lived on the coast back then, then I must now, when I live in Las Vegas (the west coast is actually closer now).

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:18 am

Expats I work with are amused that Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, etc... are so called 'mid-west' here.

James_W

by James_W » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:32 am

tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

Kingston, Ontario; I would consider that a part of the east coast, even though it is close to the Great Lakes. It doesn't really fit into that Great Lake area.

Close? it is right on Lake Ontario.

tioga

by tioga » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:33 pm

James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:
tioga wrote:
James_W wrote:

Close? it is right on Lake Ontario.

Yeah, I'm just saying that it doesn't fit the feel of the Great Lake region. To me, upstate New York and the Toronto area just don't seen like the Great Lake region. They seem more like the east coast.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Pahrump: typical west-coast town.

James_W

by James_W » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:40 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Pahrump: typical west-coast town.

I just googled Pahrump and found Over the Hump to the Brothels in Pahrump.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:21 am

I met Alpinist on top of the deadly mt. Davis. It was raining and cloudy and I couldn't see anything.

I went from east coast to mid west :(

PreviousNext

Return to General