Mt. Marcy question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
deungsan

Mt. Marcy question

by deungsan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:31 pm

A few years ago during a trip to NY, I ran Mt. Marcy from the Adirondak Loj via the Hoevenberg Trail. Really enjoyed it.

Now I have another chance to do a mountain run in NYS and am considering Marcy from the Johns Brook Lodge via Hopkins Trail or Phelps Trail.

Anyone know how runnable they are? Are they different enough from Hoevenberg to be worthwhile, or are they just “more of the same”? Should I pick a different mountain?

Thanks!

nartreb

Re: Mt. Marcy question

by nartreb » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:59 pm

I have only a very slight memory of those trails - it was the end of a VERY long day a long time ago. (Ah, I remember now, I took the Phelps down from Haystack.) As you can see on the map, most of the distance is alongside a stream with a gentle grade. There's some rocks in the trail but you should have no trouble running almost all of it.

It's significantly longer than the Van Hoevenberg route but otherwise they seem similar to me - long walks in the woods before you get to Marcy.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
deungsan

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)