Sizing for high altitude boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
asdf123

Sizing for high altitude boots

by asdf123 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi
I am looking to buy a pair of La Sportiva Olympus mons. However I am still unsure what size to get even after trying on several different sizes. My usual size for mountaineering boots is 44.5. For the Olympus mons I was thinking about either 46.5 or 47. The 46.5 fits quite well and my heel does not move much, however I am not sure how much feet swell at altitude and how this may affect the fit? With size 47 my feet have a more room (so there is more reserve in case my feet swell), however my heel moves quite a lot.

Does anyone have any experience with how much reserve is needed when feet swell at altitude?

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Sizing for high altitude boots

by rgg » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't know whether feet swell significantly more at altitude than at sea level; personally I never noticed any difference. Then again, I've never been high enough that I would need the Olympus Mons, my highest peaks are all in the Andes.

Even at sea level, my feet swell a little when walking, which is totally normal. Therefore, when shopping for new boots, it's best to walk a bit before trying them on. If, with somewhat tired feet, the boots feel good and have a snug fit, without any pressure points, I'm happy. Of course I try the boots while wearing socks similar to what I'll be wearing later on. I don't want much movement around my heel then. After that, only a couple of days in the mountains will tell me how good the boots really are.

Though you don't ask about it, I feel I should add that I also pay attention to wiggling room for my toes. I need a little space for that, otherwise I may end up with blisters between my toes (especially if it's too narrow), or my toes suffer a lot when descending (when the boots are too short).

Return to Gear