Best cure for athletes foot.

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
no avatar
Yank-Tank

Best cure for athletes foot.

by Yank-Tank » Mon May 02, 2016 4:35 am

Hi, I have been battling with athletes foot for a long time now and am seeking the best treatment for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Best cure for athletes foot.

by Scott » Mon May 02, 2016 5:32 am

Lamisil and Tinactin.

LincolnB

by LincolnB » Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Vinegar. Use a Q-tip to apply between your toes.
I used to use the over-the-counter stuff but once had a bad case that wouldn't respond to any of it. A quick internet search turned up vinegar - has worked for me ever since.

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon May 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Yep, vinegar seems to pretty much cure everything. I'll add that by making some time to take long walks on a beach will do wonders for the bottoms of your feet. I know there is a battle between the nice feet and calloused feet crowd and I'm firmly in the I want nice feet group. I wear a lot of flops and live on a summer destination lake here in MN.

nartreb

by nartreb » Tue May 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Athlete's foot is persistent - it hides between your skin cells, and it can also live in your shoes and socks, the floor of your shower, and anyplace else that's damp.

First use medication to treat your infection. Don't stop when the itching and rash stops, keep it up for the full recommended course of treatment (i.e. a few weeks). Meanwhile, sterilize and DRY all the potential reservoirs that your feet contact: socks, shoes, bathroom floor. Start following the below hygiene regime, and continue for the rest of your life if needed.

I like the powdered medicine better than creams or liquids, because the powder keeps my feet dry. The others trap sweat and make the problem worse. Make sure you get the medicine directly between your toes or wherever the infection is, don't just splash some powder on top of your feet and hope the medicine will migrate to where it's needed.

Apply medicine at least twice a day. Before applying, gently rub your skin to remove dirt, sweat, and dead or dying skin cells. There's not much point in washing with soap and water; scrubbing with your fingers is more effective and avoids putting extra water where you don't want it.

As for preventing recurrences, the best course is dry air and sunshine. Take your shoes off at every opportunity - if you have a desk job, take your shoes off as soon as you reach your desk, and keep them off.

Shoes with some ventilation (e.g. most sneakers) are better than unvented shoes (most dress shoes), and sandals are better than either, but bare feet are best by far.

Change your socks and shoes whenever they get wet or sweaty. (This means carrying extra socks when hiking.) Dry your feet thoroughly after bathing. Apply medicinal powder prophylactically after showering in locker rooms or other likely sources of infection.

I suspect that some sock yarns are better than others - cotton better than nylon, wool better than either - but I haven't researched nor carefully tested this. I'm convinced that if you wear shoes, wearing socks is better than not, and that very thin dress socks are basically the same as no socks. On the other hand, if your socks are too thick, you'll unnecessarily warm your feet and cause sweating.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Wed May 04, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks. for the tips fellas. I will keep an eye out for some powder medication. The only trouble is that New Zealand doesn't have the massive selection of medications that you guys in the usa enjoy .

I will have a look tomorrow. In the mean time I will use some creams and cider. It was nearly gone and then I started exercising a lot and it came back.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Fri May 26, 2017 1:07 am

This stuff rocks and it's cheap on Amazon.
It's a South Korean wunderwaffe. I just hope that whatever is in it isn't too toxic...hah!

Family Care Clotrimazole Anti Fungal Cream, 1% USP, 1oz LFRczv, Pack of 5
https://www.amazon.com/Family-Clotrimaz ... T0A8S?th=1

no avatar
saltyrock

by saltyrock » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 pm

It's a tough battle. Dry feet and medications from the doc helped me out but it still peeks it's ugly head up at times.

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue