Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
User Avatar
CoA

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:30 pm
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

by CoA » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm a new user who joined to website a month or so ago. I'm keen to interact with the knowledgeable community here, but it's proved to be a challenging experience. I suspect that many new users come here, try to get involved, and then move on elsewhere. A sad outcome for what has obviously been a great site with many active people in the past.

Most challenging is the amount of time it takes to get messages approved. I posted one, waited, posted a second, waited. Nothing. Then moved onto another forum. Two weeks later the messages were approved, by which point they'd already been discussed elsewhere.

I figured I'd give SP another shot - but again it's been a challenging experience. Attempted to post another message, figuring perhaps my posts would be automatically be approved having been vetted (and clearly not a spam poster) previously. Unforunately no, it's sitting in approval limbo. Plus lots of glitches: links take you endlessly to your profile, photos upload sideways, links broken etc.

I do feel bad coming here as a new user and complaining about the site, but I'm sure this is a familiar experience for many who attempt to join the community here, and just wind up heading off elsewhere.

(Posted April 5)

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 154 times in 110 posts

Re: Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

by Montana Matt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Sorry about the delay in getting messages approved. Typically there are a few people doing that but I'm not sure how much they've been online lately.

And the issue with getting posts approved won't be a problem going forward. I've made it so that all new users can post to the forums immediately without having to wait for approval.

In the past we were getting swamped with spammers, but that isn't the case anymore so this change should solve the problem with delays in getting messages approved.

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
mrchad9

User Avatar
CoA

 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:30 pm
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts

Re: Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

by CoA » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Matt - thanks for the quick reply. Really appreciated!

The following user would like to thank CoA for this post
Montana Matt

User Avatar
T. White
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 4 posts

Re: Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

by T. White » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 am

Montana Matt wrote:Sorry about the delay in getting messages approved. Typically there are a few people doing that but I'm not sure how much they've been online lately.

And the issue with getting posts approved won't be a problem going forward. I've made it so that all new users can post to the forums immediately without having to wait for approval.

In the past we were getting swamped with spammers, but that isn't the case anymore so this change should solve the problem with delays in getting messages approved.


Hi Matt,

I've been registered for a year and my posts are still being delayed days for approval. There are also active spammers in the General forum, but nobody's gotten around to deleting them despite my reporting of every one. I realize this is a moderation issue, but it's just sad...

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 154 times in 110 posts

Re: Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

by Montana Matt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:05 pm

T. White wrote:Hi Matt,

I've been registered for a year and my posts are still being delayed days for approval.

Hi T. White, the other day I just transferred you to the group where your posts will not need approval, so you're good to go!
T. White wrote:There are also active spammers in the General forum, but nobody's gotten around to deleting them despite my reporting of every one.

Thanks for reporting them. They come every night while I'm asleep. I wake up just before 5am PST and delete them all as fast as I can, which usually takes me less than 10 mins. If you'd like to help with deleting spammers, let me know and I'd be happy to make you an admin so you can delete them when you see them instead of just reporting them. Someone else just stepped up recently to help delete them, so I we should be able to keep them at bay.

User Avatar
T. White
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 4 posts

Re: Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

by T. White » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
T. White wrote:Hi Matt,

I've been registered for a year and my posts are still being delayed days for approval.

Hi T. White, the other day I just transferred you to the group where your posts will not need approval, so you're good to go!
T. White wrote:There are also active spammers in the General forum, but nobody's gotten around to deleting them despite my reporting of every one.

Thanks for reporting them. They come every night while I'm asleep. I wake up just before 5am PST and delete them all as fast as I can, which usually takes me less than 10 mins. If you'd like to help with deleting spammers, let me know and I'd be happy to make you an admin so you can delete them when you see them instead of just reporting them. Someone else just stepped up recently to help delete them, so I we should be able to keep them at bay.


Awesome, thanks Matt!

I'd also be happy to help bring those spammers to heel. Just let me know if there's anything else I should know re: the admin role.

The following user would like to thank T. White for this post
Montana Matt

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 154 times in 110 posts

Re: Suggestion from a new user - message appoval times etc

by Montana Matt » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:22 pm

T. White wrote:I'd also be happy to help bring those spammers to heel. Just let me know if there's anything else I should know re: the admin role.

Great, thanks for volunteering! Shoot me an email at matt@flytrapcare.com and we can sort it out.


Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest