Page changes?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
User Avatar
hgrapid

 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:34 am
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

Page changes?

by hgrapid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Nearby Mountains/Rocks and Interactive Map and Topo Map as well as Mountain and Rocks in X Country or State was removed. Also, the main photo became a cover photo. Changes are fine, but why has so many of the search tools been removed? Interactive maps are really helpful.

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 171 times in 117 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Montana Matt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:14 pm

hgrapid wrote:Changes are fine, but why has so many of the search tools been removed? Interactive maps are really helpful.

Thanks for the feedback. We can put them back in, but I didn't realize that they were used all that much. And there are two other places that can be clicked now that will take you to the same page as the "Interactive Map" link would. See the below image where the links are circled in red.

hgrapid wrote:Mountain and Rocks in X Country or State was removed.

This was essentially the same as the "Interactive Map" link, right? Did you find both of them useful?

So the only thing that was really removed was the MyTopo Map link. Did anyone ever use the MyTopo Map link?

My goal was to reduce some of the clutter on the page by removing redundant or unused features.
Screenshot 2018-11-23 07.08.17.png
Screenshot 2018-11-23 07.08.17.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 480 times

User Avatar
hgrapid

 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:34 am
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

Re: Page changes?

by hgrapid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Alright, yes, I see that now. There seems to be a lot of functions that have been lost in recent years. For instance, the ability to search my own pages, images, etc. However, I will see if I lose further functionality once I post my next page. I expect to post another page after I complete a hike on Dec 1.

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 171 times in 117 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Montana Matt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:17 pm

hgrapid wrote:There seems to be a lot of functions that have been lost in recent years. For instance, the ability to search my own pages, images, etc.

Right. With the changes made in the spring, some of that functionality was lost. I am in the process of getting such things added back in. Our next task is to improve the search functionality in many ways, including allowing users to more easily search their own submissions. I am hoping to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
Silvia Mazzani, T. White, ZeeJay

User Avatar
Silvia Mazzani

 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 am
Thanked: 61 times in 38 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Silvia Mazzani » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Well Matt, the new look of the pages with the big opening photo is fantastic! Two useful information that I can no longer see on the pages are the date of publication and the date of the last update.

User Avatar
hightinerary

 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:21 am
Thanked: 7 times in 5 posts

Re: Page changes?

by hightinerary » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:47 pm

I like the big main photo. But I used the topo map and interactive map very frequently, so I miss them.

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 171 times in 117 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Montana Matt » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Silvia Mazzani wrote:Two useful information that I can no longer see on the pages are the date of publication and the date of the last update.

hightinerary wrote:I like the big main photo. But I used the topo map and interactive map very frequently, so I miss them.

In an attempt to reduce clutter I removed some of the things that I thought weren't frequently used. I'll put them back in! Sorry about that!!

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
AlbertoRampini, T. White, Vid Pogachnik, ZeeJay

User Avatar
utahjimk

 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:19 pm
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Page changes?

by utahjimk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 pm

I used the link to MyTopo maps frequently. Hope it can be restored ...

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 171 times in 117 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Montana Matt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 pm

utahjimk wrote:I used the link to MyTopo maps frequently. Hope it can be restored ...

It is coming back, for sure. Sorry for the delay.

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 171 times in 117 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Montana Matt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:56 am

GEOGRAPHY section is added back in, including the MyTopo maps link.

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
jfrishmanIII

User Avatar
jfrishmanIII

 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:02 pm
Thanked: 36 times in 26 posts

Re: Page changes?

by jfrishmanIII » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:58 am

Montana Matt wrote:GEOGRAPHY section is added back in, including the MyTopo maps link.


Thank you! Could we also at some point please get back the customization options for the interactive maps? I'm thinking primarily of the ability to change the radius. There are peaks in Nevada, for instance, where the default radius will not bring up any other mountains. I've found this a really useful tool for finding mountains I don't already know about, when I don't have a name to search for.

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
T. White, ZeeJay

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 171 times in 117 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Montana Matt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:38 pm

jfrishmanIII wrote:Thank you! Could we also at some point please get back the customization options for the interactive maps? I'm thinking primarily of the ability to change the radius. There are peaks in Nevada, for instance, where the default radius will not bring up any other mountains. I've found this a really useful tool for finding mountains I don't already know about, when I don't have a name to search for.

We are entirely redoing the search interface. It will likely be released in the next few days to a week. The ability to filter on distance from a given point will be included in the changes.

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
jfrishmanIII, T. White, ZeeJay

User Avatar
T. White
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 pm
Thanked: 12 times in 7 posts

Re: Page changes?

by T. White » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm

I like the expanded number of hits in the new map interface! One suggestion, though: could we retain the parent mountain (or route, etc.) in those results? It's much easier to determine where adjacent places are that way.

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm
Thanked: 171 times in 117 posts

Re: Page changes?

by Montana Matt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm

T. White wrote:I like the expanded number of hits in the new map interface! One suggestion, though: could we retain the parent mountain (or route, etc.) in those results? It's much easier to determine where adjacent places are that way.

Sure, we can do that. Where do you think it should show? On the left sidebar as well? Parents are already showing in the bubble that pops up when any image in the left sidebar is clicked.
Screenshot 2018-12-05 12.27.39.png
Screenshot 2018-12-05 12.27.39.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 177 times


Or maybe I'm not understanding exactly which object type you're wanting to retain the parent mountain for?

User Avatar
T. White
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 pm
Thanked: 12 times in 7 posts

Re: Page changes?

by T. White » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Sorry, I wan't being clear -- and it looks like the issue has already been corrected!

When clicking on a feature's long/lat coordinates, then on the new Map View, it initially wasn't showing the mountain you just clicked through from... but I've tested a few just now, and they're back.

I think it would be useful to put the default zoom closer in on the feature you've come from, though, since currently it's so wide that the smaller blue icons get lost in the map. Maybe that could be mitigated by going back to the red flags? They did grow on me...

Next

Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest