Rope on Iztaccihuatl?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
jmspagggi

Rope on Iztaccihuatl?

by jmspagggi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering what people are doing on Iztaccihuatl regarding ropes. From bottom to Groupo it's not required. And after Groupo, at what time does it become a good idea? I went there last year and went pretty high (Was too slow to summit) and we never felt the need of the rope (Even if we had it with us). When does it get used?

Thanks,

JM

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Rope on Iztaccihuatl?

by Scott » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Most people do not use a rope on Iztaccihuatl.

no avatar
jmspagggi

by jmspagggi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Interesting. When I went, all teams on the mountains had harness and ropes. Because of the whiteout we were the only team staying on the mountain. All other teams turned back. So I don't know when they were planning to use that, but they were all prepared for it (And so were we). That's why I'm currious to figure where.

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 pm

I think Scott (above post) has it right. Generally, there is no need for rope on this peak.

But, there are many guided groups on these volcanoes and all the guided parties are required to rope up. Maybe you saw one or more of these groups.

Private parties don't usually rope up as the terrain is easy enough...

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:05 am

jmspagggi wrote:Interesting. When I went, all teams on the mountains had harness and ropes. Because of the whiteout we were the only team staying on the mountain. All other teams turned back. So I don't know when they were planning to use that, but they were all prepared for it (And so were we). That's why I'm currious to figure where.

The were probably guided climbers with no mountaineering experience. Guided climbers sometimes rope together while others don't.

no avatar
jmspagggi

by jmspagggi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:45 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Going there in November again. Will see how it goes...

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean