Charging electronic devices when out climbing

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Shannon_G123

Charging electronic devices when out climbing

by Shannon_G123 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could answer or share there opinions

What are the most common electronic devices you take with you climbing?
How do charge your electronic devices when out climbing and how do you prevent the battery from dying?

I'm a university final year Product Design student currently looking at the growing challenges mountaineers face with a lack of power to charge electronic devices when outdoors at various altitudes & temperatures and would appreciate any feedback from your own experiences.

Many Thanks!

FerClimbs

Re: Charging electronic devices when out climbing

by FerClimbs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:33 pm

I bought once an small solar panel but it was useless. A big battery pack usually does the job to charge the mobile.
For cameras and radios you carry spare batteries.
I have only been up to 7 days in the mountains so for me that was enough. I know bigger expeditions use solar panels and more electronics like GPS and SatPhones.

If you want to design something I would say nowadays it needs to be USB. I am buying new equipment and one requirement is that it is rechargeable by USB as battery packs, solar panels and other methods of storing or generating energy offer usually USB connectivity.

The following user would like to thank FerClimbs for this post
Shannon_G123

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Shannon_G123 wrote:What are the most common electronic devices you take with you climbing?

I usually take a camera. On day hikes/climbs, I often take a cell phone if I can get a signal.

How do charge your electronic devices when out climbing and how do you prevent the battery from dying?

I don't charge any electronic devices on climbs. On long trips, I take a camera that takes double AA batteries and then I take extras.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Shannon_G123

asmrz

by asmrz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:56 pm

In the past 6 years I have taken two and three months long trips into the various Western US ranges.

But I only carry lithium batteries for my camera. I take three batteries and recharge them via solar panel when I'm back at my vehicle.

The only other batteries I carry are AA batteries for my headlamp. I bring several replacements, leave them in my vehicle.

I do not carry a phone in the mountains, nor do I generally carry a GPS.

I have a laptop with me ( in the vehicle) which I recharge via solar panel. But that gets used only where there is WI-FI, which is not often.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Shannon_G123

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 pm

I use a small powerbank with USB outlet to charge my phone for multiday trips, as that is my camera... my gf also uses it to charge her Apple watch as she is into that sort of thing.

Otherwise I just use rechargeable AAA batteries for headlamp... usually one set is enough and don't bring spares.

I would like something lighter than the powerbank.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Shannon_G123

Return to Gear