Alps solo

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
henric-andersson@outlook.com

Alps solo

by henric-andersson@outlook.com » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:33 am

Hi guys!

Im traveling around the alps next summer and been looking for some high tours to do solo, since I dont have any climbing partner and the guides I used before are expensive as... ( fill in whatever proper negative word that come to mind ).
I have experience before w alpineclimbing and ordinary rockclimbing. What ive read is that Mönch in the Jungfrauregion is doable on your own. Anyone here done it solo style?
Alos, I would be happy to recieve som suggestion on other summits to conquer with only yours truly.

// Henric

selinunte01

Re: Alps solo

by selinunte01 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi Henric,
high mountains solo are - in common - a rather bad idea...;-)
If you must and if it has to be Switzerland ... I suggest Lagginhorn via Weißmieshütten and Weißmies via Almageller Hütte, both 4000er of the Valais Alps and glacier-free routes. In the same region Barrhörner from Turtmannhütte or from Topalihütte.
Another good and higher solo summit is Balfrin via Bordierhütte again in Valais mountains.
For Mönch you have to use the Jungfraujoch cableway, acutally they charge you with about 200 Swiss Francs, maybe a guide is cheaper :-)

by henric-andersson@outlook.com » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:22 pm

Thanks for your answer :)

Yeah, I know about the dangers on high altitude and the enviroment but I was hopeing there were some exceptions out there, other then "Breithorn".

Lagginhorn and Weissmies looks like pretty straight forward. For what I read these are usually frequently used by alpinists so walking amongst other could provide some safety atleast.
Lets see what happens :)

Take care!

Regards / Henric

no avatar
Habbe

by Habbe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi Henric

Swede or Dane?
I´ll be in the Eiger area for a couple of days late july and then Grossglockner. Although I think climbing partners can be found at site and especially on the camp sites and huts, it is of course fun to get in contact with fellow climbers prior to my trip.
/Mattias

by henric-andersson@outlook.com » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi Mattias!

Im from Sweden. Close to Göteborg. Where u from?
Cool that you´re in "berner oberland" in july.
Me myself plan on spending time in the area 13-26/7. I plan to travel around, camping, staying in some huts and possible a few hotelsnights. Hoping on some summits ofc.

// Henric

seano

by seano » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:17 am

I've done some climbing in the Alps solo -- see here for the details, then decide for yourself what appeals to you. The Bernese peaks are usually a bit more serious and remote than the Valais ones, but the Eiger's west face is safe and straightforward if you have some climbing experience.

by henric-andersson@outlook.com » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks for your advice. I´ll take a look.
Eiger I wouldnt climb solo regardless of route though. Period.

/ Henric

no avatar
Habbe

by Habbe » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:49 pm

henric-andersson@outlook.com wrote:Thanks for your advice. I´ll take a look.
Eiger I wouldnt climb solo regardless of route though. Period.

/ Henric

So what about climbing the West Flank with a partner? I´m seriously concidering the West Flank solo but having a partner would of course be better.
I´ll check in at the Holdrio Camp site on 23/7. Then probably hike up to Rotstock or Eiger Hilton for over-night aclimatization.
All depending on weather of course.
Btw, Swede, Helsingborg and I´ll email you.

Return to Europe