Roll Call

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Roll Call

by Scott » Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 am

So who's still around? Let's hear from you.

I miss all the SP old timers.

Damien Gildea

Re: Roll Call

by Damien Gildea » Thu May 14, 2020 1:48 pm

I just dropped in as SP is in the Favourites of an old browser I went back to. Not visited for six months and not really been here for years.

I see people are still asking dumb questions about Aconcagua though :-)

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu May 14, 2020 7:10 pm

I climbed with a guy who had climbed Aconcogua airport to airport in 60 hours. Is that a reasonable time for beginners?

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri May 15, 2020 9:51 am

I've been a member for almost as long as Scott, so I guess I qualify.

My participation has been declining for years. I check the forums from time to time to see if anybody is asking the same questions about Mt Washington again :)

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
Scott

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 am

Still looking in since 2003 mostly to do research on a route or peak. California and general forums have become monopolized by ho-hum reports that don't interest me - links to SAR reports,etc. Little interest in that so I don't visit as often as in the past.

seano

by seano » Tue May 19, 2020 2:24 am

The place is pretty quiet, so I don’t drop in that often, but I do visit from time to time. I’ll usually check the peak pages for beta when I’m planning a trip.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Scott

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue May 19, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm on the site almost daily as I like to see the new photos posts and to see who is summiting peaks and see other new pages. My two cents worth is that some of the "old-timers" were driven out as they got fed up with political garbage. Specifically on moderator definitely has favoritism over some members and intolerance for others. The Chief left I'm quite certain because of this, he had (I felt) wonderful and interesting points of view, Vitaily I believe left for the same reason as well. Others like Sierra Ledge Rat, Moapa, Dow (always on but no interaction anymore, other than posting new routes), don't know about where they went. These guys aren't old-timers really but MrChad, AlexWood, Hotoven had great input and they have disappeared. I know I have missed many, that going back since I joined 10 years ago were constantly involved. I think part of the problem is people are into their own pages and don't show any real appreciation for other SP member pages. Without interaction the community kinda' goes away. Seems currently there are about 5 or 6 that have consistent input. Anyways, my two cents.

colinr

by colinr » Tue May 19, 2020 10:51 pm

Yo Marmaduke, did you head east before the big snow dump?...Funny timing to pop on here and see this thread after I just came across some of those folks' (real) names elsewhere who you are mentioning (registers and other websites). And seano and I have actually met in person.

I don't visit here often anymore, but before the snowfall, I left no trace besides my tracks in a county with a population of ~1,100.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ek6AtVWj9rAV7mLg9

T. White
Forum Moderator

by T. White » Wed May 20, 2020 6:03 am

Long-time lurker, late joiner. Still check SP for trail info and fun trip reports... love how earnest they are from the era before social media!

Marmaduke wrote: Others like Sierra Ledge Rat, Moapa ... don't know about where they went.

Moapa and SLR are still active as far as I know...

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed May 20, 2020 2:25 pm

colinr wrote:Yo Marmaduke, did you head east before the big snow dump?...Funny timing to pop on here and see this thread after I just came across some of those folks' (real) names elsewhere who you are mentioning (registers and other websites). And seano and I have actually met in person.

I don't visit here often anymore, but before the snowfall, I left no trace besides my tracks in a county with a population of ~1,100.

Uhm, no stayed put here with the snow. And the link you provided, wasn't his SP name something like "stinky"? Sean left me a super weird email quite awhile back accusing me of being part of the SP group that were giving him shit...... I was actually one defending him. Not sure the significance of your mention of snowfall ....

colinr

by colinr » Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
colinr wrote:Yo Marmaduke, did you head east before the big snow dump?...Funny timing to pop on here and see this thread after I just came across some of those folks' (real) names elsewhere who you are mentioning (registers and other websites). And seano and I have actually met in person.

Uhm, no stayed put here with the snow. And the link you provided, wasn't his SP name something like "stinky"? Sean left me a super weird email quite awhile back accusing me of being part of the SP group that were giving him shit...... I was actually one defending him. Not sure the significance of your mention of snowfall ....

:lol:

Still here for drama more than the mountaineering, I see. :wink: Why are you spreading crap on the front page about one of our more legendary dirtbag adventurers? Dude's cool to hike and talk with like many you mentioned.

That link is me, seanreedy, this past weekend. Great adventure conditions north of Yosemite and south of Tahoe! You should have gotten some hiking in. Good for the mind and soul during this isolating and uncertain time! Oh well, we've always got the beautiful conditions developing as I write.

Imagine the craziness that would have ensued in the forums had C-19 been ten years ago! On second thought, I'm sure it would have been a little less crazy out there with a real leader like Obama, but nevertheless crazy on here.

Anyway, go for a hike or post one. Or update the Off-route forum on your wife and kids....or hampers full of ice cream or whatever.

no avatar
paul tieslau

by paul tieslau » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm

Paul here.
I’m new, so for roll call I probably shouldn’t be responding to this.
I used to check super topo but now that is done.
I’m looking to do fun sporty routes down the eastern Sierra. Looking at Morrison lately but that looks to be a choss pile scree slog. Kinda intersected in scoping out the lesser than loose vert routes on the main face; sure I know Morrison is bad, but there’s gotta b some good rock up there.
I am old and slow but I’ve got some el cap experience 14 times I’ve been up that sucker

The following user would like to thank paul tieslau for this post
Scott

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri May 22, 2020 4:33 am

colinr wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:

:lol:

Still here for drama more than the mountaineering, I see. :wink: Why are you spreading crap on the front page about one of our more legendary dirtbag adventurers? Dude's cool to hike and talk with like many you mentioned.

That link is me, seanreedy, this past weekend. Great adventure conditions north of Yosemite and south of Tahoe! You should have gotten some hiking in. Good for the mind and soul during this isolating and uncertain time! Oh well, we've always got the beautiful conditions developing as I write.

Imagine the craziness that would have ensued in the forums had C-19 been ten years ago! On second thought, I'm sure it would have been a little less crazy out there with a real leader like Obama, but nevertheless crazy on here.

Anyway, go for a hike or post one. Or update the Off-route forum on your wife and kids....or hampers full of ice cream or whatever.

I didn't spread crap about anyone.........

seano

by seano » Fri May 22, 2020 11:46 pm

Marmaduke wrote:

That must have been a long time ago. I don't even remember that particular bit of internet drama, much less what it was about. I regret taking part, and am happy to put it to rest.

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Sun May 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Still hit SP at least once a day - enjoy the amazing photos and expanding my mountain knowledge. Vacations are sweeter if I get an opportunity to put up a new mountain page.

Next

Return to General