Half a day in Denver, what should I hike or climb?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
builttospill

Half a day in Denver, what should I hike or climb?

by builttospill » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:34 pm

I'm spending a couple of days in Denver (DIA) and will have half or 3/4 of a day to get out for a bit. I'm in decent but not great shape, but coming from altitude, so no need to acclimate to the elevation. Basically anything that would take ~7 hours roundtrip from Denver.

I'm looking for something to climb/hike, ideally 3rd or 4th class or very, very easy 5th. My initial thought was one of the 4th class Flatirons routes, but I'm very open to suggestions.

Thanks for any ideas. If the best option is to go to the climbing gym, I guess I'll do that. But I'd really prefer not to.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Half a day in Denver, what should I hike or climb?

by Scott » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Maybe Kelso Ridge? It might have ice in places.

builttospill

Re: Half a day in Denver, what should I hike or climb?

by builttospill » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Hey Scott! Thanks for the suggestion. It was a really good one. I didn't end up doing Kelso Ridge, mostly because I wasn't super well-prepared in terms of colder-weather clothing. I worried about finding some icy parts of the ridge or otherwise getting bogged down or stopped and not being prepared to bail or move slowly.

I hiked the main trail on Gray's instead, since I knew I could move up and down fast if it was too cold for me.

Thanks for turning me onto that area, it was kind of perfect for my purposes. Hopefully I'll go back and do Kelso Ridge sometime.

Return to Colorado