Clark Jacobs RIP

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
asmrz

Clark Jacobs RIP

by asmrz » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:38 pm

For the many in Southern California who knew Clark Jacobs and/or benefited from his many years of Joshua Tree and Tahquitz Rock guiding, I'm so sorry to have to report this.
Clark died two days ago from complications of 15 year battle with blood cancer and (very recent) Covid.
Clark was one of the nicest, friendliest, happy and competent teachers of the climbing art, one could ever find. The hundreds and maybe thousands of newcomers to our climbing activity can attest to his wonderful ability to teach.
He had many first ascents in Joshua Tree and in Idyllwild, mostly on Suicide Rock and in the Hinterland Area of Tahquitz Rock. He has to his credit over 600 free solos of The Flower of High Rank route on Suicide Rock. But it was his gentle personality and deep love of nature that I will most cherish.
Alois Smrz.

Kerstin

Re: Clark Jacobs RIP

by Kerstin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Very sad news. My condolences to his friends and family.

I went to high school in Idyllwild back in the early-mid eighties. I would frequently see Clark at Suicide Rock and watched several of his free solo ascents of Flower of High Rank. I remember Clark as a very kind man who encouraged me when I was out there climbing. Rest in peace, Clark.

Return to News