Your Favorite Summer Hiking Socks 2021?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
pirate

Your Favorite Summer Hiking Socks 2021?

by pirate » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 am

Hi there hikers:

Not only did outdoorgearlabs.com rate " Darn Tough Light Hiker Micro Crew Light Cushion" the "it" sock for the year; I've seen this parroted like everywhere. I found them to have kind of a "felt-like" feel to the fabric, they did not breathe well, and were without enough stretch to feel like they really fit.

---->What is your favorite currently available summer hiking sock, with good breathing? Why? What have your issues been with socks in the past that the socks you are recommending improved upon? (I'm probably only looking for a crew length sock; high enough for some dust/sun protection, but not too high and hot.)

For me: I think thorlo invented the fancy ultra-specific hiking sock like 10 years ago (they still have like 97 models just for hiking). I thought their acrylic hiking socks were OK and breathed well, though they don't seem as soft and abrasion resist as the most modern fabrics. After a while, they definitely had the stink (but that may be my feet/boots).

I have never liked wool in any form unless it's cold. I'm definitely not sold on doubling the price of a sock if it includes a little merino. I think smartwool makes some of the worst socks around, neither warm enough nor cool enough for anything. Waaay over-hyped.

Note about long-distance running socks: Wrightsocks are great for running, extremely comfy, a double-layer design ("coolmax" fabric I think). I took some old ones hiking last year and they were quickly shredded (this is reflected in a review I saw). Balegas got a lot of good reviews (can you believe, they have mohair in them?) and I tried them, they are great for running as well.

----> Anyone tried a Balega hiking sock, or tried a running Balega for hiking?

Thanks in advance, let the comments begin, and let the happy cushioning of feet commence!

-TPC

T. White
Forum Moderator

Re: Your Favorite Summer Hiking Socks 2021?

by T. White » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 am

I know this doesn't quite fit your criteria, but the best hiking socks I've ever worn were Hanes tubes, until they changed the composition sometime in the last 5 years or so. The perfect thickness and texture for my feet, and no moisture issues. I've tried many others and none have compared.

Return to Gear