Sierra permits

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
myles

Sierra permits

by myles » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:30 pm

I'm pretty confused with the online permitting system at recreation.gov.

In one place I read that all permits must be requested online or on the phone and that there are no walk-ins.

When I go to the trailhead listings, under availability it says walk-ins. Tried the ranger station (closed today) and called the number for the permit office provided on the ranger station's recorded message, and that rang for 15 minutes before I gave up.

We're arriving Bishop late on Sept. 1 (Wed.), and I'd hoped to get a walk-in permit the next morning. Any advice/abuse appreciated.

Myles

Scott M.

Re: Sierra permits

by Scott M. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:39 pm

Some confusion may exist because different USFS districts have policies that vary. Some still have traditional "walk ins" but others are strictly online. Since you indicate you are coming to Bishop I might assume you are entering a trailhead in Inyo NF. They are 100% online. What you used to thing of as "walk ins" now become available 14 days ahead of your desired entry date and are acquired through rec.gov. For some obscure trailheads like Haiwee Pass you can grab a Sept. 1 permit now since it is a non quota location. Others like Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass are, as expected, highly competitive.

The following user would like to thank Scott M. for this post
Deb, myles

myles

by myles » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:05 pm

That is a big help, Scott, and thank you very much. Now the "W" designation at rec.gov makes some sense to me. I'll be on that site bright and early on 8/19.

I have several trailheads in mind, and yes, they're all Inyo entries.

Cheers!
Myles

Deb

by Deb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:51 pm

I was ready to scratch some eyes out last week when I attempted to get a permit....screw it....went in without one, saw no rangers on trip from Lamarck Lakes to Evo Lake. :)
The "W" is highly confusing, but I'm clear now....plan 2 weeks out to spend time on-line!

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
myles

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi Deb

My many old friends who are still going to Sierra frequently tell me the same. They go without permits and to hell with the bureaucracy. Most of them don't frequent the most popular trailheads either.

Seems like a reasonable response to a totally unreasonable situation.

BTW. How are you?

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Deb, myles

Deb

by Deb » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:24 pm

Alois and Pen! I am fantastic! Just completed a trip to get The Hermit and a few others done. Climbed at Pine Creek yesterday. Other than some aching joints, life is just wonderful. The rain has become predictable in the BC and the bugs are waning...looking forward to skiing after tagging some big objectives.
Contact me if/when you two are going to be up this way!

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
asmrz

Return to California