La Sportiva G2 Evo vs. Scarpa Phantom 6000

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
AdamJV

La Sportiva G2 Evo vs. Scarpa Phantom 6000

by AdamJV » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:14 am

I'm looking at a choice between these boots initially for Aconcagua.
If anyone has hands-on (feet-in) experience with both boots I'd love to hear your views on how they compare.

Also, can anyone comment on sizing: for a regular street shoe I wear a 43/UK9, what size should I be going for in each of these boots?
That might sound like a stupid question (I should just go and try them on) but I live nowhere near a shop that sells these things so will be buying online.

Thanks for any help.

no avatar
AdamJV

Re: La Sportiva G2 Evo vs. Scarpa Phantom 6000

by AdamJV » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:59 am

In case this helps anyone else...

I take a 43 in street shoes and have average width feet.
I ordered the G2 Evo in a 44 and found them too small (too tight around the toes - zero wiggle room).
Sent them back and got a 45. Perfect width. Maybe slightly too long but the boa system holds my foot well in place.
Did not try the Scarpa.

no avatar
johnfriday13

by johnfriday13 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:53 am

Thanks for posting Adam. I got a pair of the Baruntse from la sportiva and found the same. I'm a 43 for normal shoes with slightly wide fit and had no wiggle room in the 44. Went the 45 and they feel a little bit long but have some wiggle room. Be interested to hear when you climb how they go as I was looking at the G2 Evo recently, my Baruntse were very warm in Bolivia but were a quite hard work as the slope steepened (they are heavy & stiff).

no avatar
adrock82

by adrock82 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:29 am

I recently (past month) tried both of these models as Im planning on the same trip (Acon then some 6000-ish Himalayan stuff later). I am a 42 in a street shoe and ended up buying a 43 in the Scarpa 6000.

Trying the Scarpa in-store I found that right there and then, the 42 felt pretty good, but I was very close to the end in the toes and just thought that with some foot swelling, thicker socks, and maybe an inner sole insert, they might be a bit tight. The 43 didn't feel big at all, but I do get a very little bit of heel lift in the inner boot. In saying that, it so so minimal that I bought the 43 as I reckon they will feel better in the long run.

In terms of the La Sportiva, I tried the 42 which were crazy tight and hard in spots, then the 43 just felt massive. I really wanted to like them due to the boa lacing but it was just one of those times where I put my feet an and just went "Nup" right away.

Return to Gear