Cedar Mesa's State Route 95 Closure

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Stu Brandel

Cedar Mesa's State Route 95 Closure

by Stu Brandel » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:55 pm

While doing some trip planning I found that State Route 95 between Blanding and Natural Bridges National Monument was closed at the bridge over Cottonwood Wash (mile Marker 115.5). Local Traffic on either side of the bridge is OK - but no through traffic. Route 95 is the key paved east west route in the Cedar Mesa area. Large scale flood waters damaged the bridge and it needs emergency repairs. My source is https://udottraffic.utah.gov/. Anyone who can provide a more local update, please do.

Stu Brandel

Re: Cedar Mesa's State Route 95 Closure

by Stu Brandel » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:21 pm

An update. I was in the Cedar Mesa area this last week and route 95 is still closed at Cottonwood Wash. I was glad I saw this outage before my Grand Gulch trip, as I was able to change my lodging from Blanding to Mexican Hat. This change meant a lot less dining options (and higher prices) and having to confront the Moki Dugway twice a day, but overall it was worth it. I had my heart set on Grand Gulch - though there are a lot of options for canyon hiking near Blanding.

Currently date for reopening 95 is early November.

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
ZeeJay

Return to Utah