Combo routes? Attempting to be youngest to do lower 48 14ers

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
sctbke

Combo routes? Attempting to be youngest to do lower 48 14ers

by sctbke » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 am

From what I have gathered (this could be incorrect?), the youngest person to summit all of the contiguous US 14ers did so at 27 (Brian Kalet). See contiguous US 14ers page on SP. I have heard of a few others that have gotten close to lowering this age, but haven't seen any confirmation of this. Feel free to prove me wrong here if you know otherwise :D

I realized late last year that I am very close to completing the contiguous US list, and I am 22 until midsummer of 2022. All of the CA Sierra 14ers are on this list. I figure I want to make these summits anyway, so I might as well do it all at once. With that, I'm looking for some pointers on combining some of the routes.

North Palisade, Sill, Middle Palisade, and Split are all on the list. Doing these individually seems nuts since they're closer together. Can anyone offer guidance on feasibility to link these routes? I am comfortable with single days of 20 miles and 7k vert, and while I have done days much larger than that (Rainier in 1 day), I would prefer to avoid that if possible. I am good with a Bivvy for a night if the terrain allows, and am okay with up to 5.4 unroped climbing if necessary.

I plan to do Russel/Whitney/Muir as a combo day trip as well. The rest, I'll do the 'standard' routes for unless there's better options. Feel free to throw any relevant thoughts in here, happy to hear about route opinions and tips! My timeframe will be a few weeks in June/July. Thanks all, I appreciate it! I've gotten tons of valuable info from this site already.

The following user would like to thank sctbke for this post
Cy Kaicener

seano

Re: Combo routes? Attempting to be youngest to do lower 48 1

by seano » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm

A few people have done all the Palisades 14ers in a day, generally in pursuit of the CA 14er speed record, but it's a really long day, and even more so without a car shuttle. You can bivy, but then you're carrying overnight gear on the hardest section. Since you're just trying to be youngest to finish, not the fastest, I don't think it's worth it. Just do them in 3 separate days.

Anyways, good luck -- if you've already done Rainier (and Liberty Cap), you're on the home stretch!

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Dindanah

Dindanah

by Dindanah » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:13 pm

seano wrote:A few people have done all the Palisades 14ers in a day, generally in pursuit of the CA 14er speed record, but it's a really long day, and even more so without a car shuttle. You can bivy, but then you're carrying overnight gear on the hardest section. Since you're just trying to be youngest to finish, not the fastest, I don't think it's worth it. Just do them in 3 separate days.

Anyways, good luck -- if you've already done Rainier (and Liberty Cap), you're on the home stretch!

I agree exactly, I would not be in a rush. Three days will be perfect. Good luck

no avatar
PSOM76

by PSOM76 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:08 pm

I know that there are different lists but I agree with Steve Porcella (Climbing California's Fourteeners) and include Polemonium Peak, Starlight Peak ,& Thunderbolt Peak . Good luck !

no avatar
sctbke

by sctbke » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:22 am

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'll plan to do them as 3 separate days. I do plan to do all 15 of the 14ers, since who know when/if I'll come back for them otherwise. I did the Colorado 14ers that same way, basing the summits more off of relative prominence and difficulty. I ended up doing more than I needed to, but it was well worth it for the experience! I am planning 4 or so weeks for this so it shouldn't be anything to add in that extra time.

A close friend of mine is planning to come along, making roping up for some of the technical summits much easier. Now time to figure out permits and build some gps waypoints...

Return to General