big mountain ideas

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
JimmySin89

big mountain ideas

by JimmySin89 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:16 pm

hi there guys , new to summitpost already liking the look of it so far. just looking for some help and ideas really.

so me and a couple of friends are looking to do another big mountain next year, so far weve done everest base camp, kilimanjaro, jungfrau and gran paradise which were all guided trips. We all have good fitness, moderate skill level and knowledge.

just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for the next trip we should do. willing to travel anywhere if its worth the journey, nothing over 7000m preferably or crazy expensive . We dont just want a long monotonous hike, but we want to be tested physically, and must have a some technical stages to it with maybe via ferrata, grade 2 scrambling, rope work and bits of steady climbing involved. Added bonus too with good scenery and friendly locals for guiding us

look forward to any ideas . cheers :) jim

phydeux

Re: big mountain ideas

by phydeux » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:46 am

No long slogs but you've done Everest Base Camp and Kilimanjaro. Hmmmm :?

For some short trips maybe try the northern Andes? Ecuador has some good peaks that are long one-day hikes from huts and would need basic snow/ice gear - Chimborazo, Cotopaxi, Antisana, Illiniza (two 'siste' peaks) and some other lower ones. I believe Ecuador requires local guides be used these days, they didn't when I was down there in 1990 with some friends. Also check and see if Cotopaxi is climable - it was an active volcano a few years ago and the climbing hut might have been wiped out.

Bolivia around La Paz is pretty cool but a little more technical - illimani and Huyna Potosi and some warm-up peaks in the area.

Return to General