I've emailed the hut caretaker and confirmed that there is space available when we'd like to go, but I haven't gotten a response from him about my other questions yet. Since time is drawing short and I'm traveling, I'm posting here for more information.
We'd like to know:
- Where can we get route information and maps (online or paper)? Is the trail well-marked?
- Do we need a permit to hike in the area?
- What do we need to bring, other than clothes? We're traveling light through Europe, so we don't have sleeping bags. Do we need to bring them?
- How difficult is the route?
- Where can we find information on other hikes in the area that we can enjoy while we're there?
- We're arriving in Zermatt at 5pm, and I've read that the hike is about 4 hours long. Is it reasonable to arrive at the hut that night?