Best Down jackets?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Flatlander2climb

Best Down jackets?

by Flatlander2climb » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Ha, one more new thread for the day. I'm not seriously looking at the moment, but off and on I've considered shopping around for a good down jacket. I've tried them on, love how lightweight but well insulated the ones I've tried on are and I've heard alot of stories about how warm they keep you on those frigid winter days, but never felt like spending the money to get one. Lately, however, I have considered putting one on my list of things to get as I have one heavy coat and its going to be getting a bit old before long. Just wondered what the best down jackets were? Any advice?

I've looked at NF Nuptse and Aconcagua and like both of them, but haven't really looked at any others much. How well made are those, and Patagonia, MH or Marmot's?

radson

by radson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:51 pm

umm...best for what?

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Patagonia has a sale going on thru the 20th and they had down jackets on sale, though they may be pretty limited on sizes at this point.

BTW, I've had a NF Nuptse for the past several years that I really like and have used in the backcountry. My wife has a Marmot that she really likes, though these days it's mostly for playing in the snow with the kids.

Pallando

by Pallando » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 am

Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering are two companies known for their quality down products. This is just what I hear, I own nothing from either company.

Hopefully without hijacking this thread, does anyone know if any of the Western Mountaineering or FF down jackets have a bottom zipper (for belaying/freeing up space around the harness?).

radson

by radson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:53 am

A suggestion if you did not know already. In weather where you are wearing down jackets and climbing, a lot of people put a sling between their harness and belay/abseil device to extend the device so it is not getting caught up in your down jacket/suit.

FYI - The FF Rock and Ice Parka from memory has a twin zip that can be opened from the bottom.

axelandr

by axelandr » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:57 am

If your looking for lightweight stuff Mountain Equipment is the way to go..

Alex.

8kclimber

by 8kclimber » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:24 pm

I second FF, best out there, built however you want it.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Stime wrote:Feathered Friends Volant.

I wore mine every day I was on Rainier this summer (~60 days) whether around camp or on the summit, damn thing is a perfect down coat for mountaineering. Unfortunately, it's a bit pricey.

- Scott

Why would you wear a down jacket on Rainier in the summer? I'm not sure that I even put on my fleece when I was there (certainly NOT for 60 days!)

fossana

by fossana » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 pm

fatdad wrote:BTW, I've had a NF Nuptse for the past several years that I really like and have used in the backcountry.

Still get good use out of my 2003 Nuptse. Note that it's on the warmer side.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:09 pm

MH Sub Zero Jacket (the parka is overkill for most things). My Sub Zero was awesome for mountaineering in the Whites this winter and for staying warm on the way to class. It packs down really small and has great loft.

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:38 am

woodsxc wrote:MH Sub Zero Jacket (the parka is overkill for most things). My Sub Zero was awesome for mountaineering in the Whites this winter and for staying warm on the way to class. It packs down really small and has great loft.

I'll second that. It's not top of the line, but works really great for an all-rounder. Though, I sometimes wish i had the parka, but I'm kinda tall.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:31 am

The Defiant One wrote:
woodsxc wrote:MH Sub Zero Jacket (the parka is overkill for most things). My Sub Zero was awesome for mountaineering in the Whites this winter and for staying warm on the way to class. It packs down really small and has great loft.

I'll second that. It's not top of the line, but works really great for an all-rounder. Though, I sometimes wish i had the parka, but I'm kinda tall.

Got mine new for $100. Had a 1/4 inch nick near the collar so couldn't be sold at the store. I fixed it with a patch of duct tape. I'm 5'10" and the medium jacket fits me just fine.

AlanH

by AlanH » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:41 pm

The North Face Redpoint Optimus Insulated Jacket (Hooded) - BEST jacket!

I had just the NF Nuptse jacket but always found it to be way too hot. I then came across the Redpoint jacket. Man, this truly is all you will ever need, even in single digit weather from my experience.

Just check out the reviews all around, nothing but awards.

Next

Return to Gear