Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
User Avatar
mvs

 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:44 pm
Thanked: 283 times in 109 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by mvs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:50 am

That sucks. I'm interested to read your new rating article, as I think it's a really interesting topic. We should be secure enough that we can discuss these things civily, as it's just f*(#ing climbing for God's sake. Some people must take themselves too seriously. Try not to remove *too many* articles.

A friend told me that euro ice grades are way inflated compared to Canada. I led my first WI5 a couple weeks ago here, and am desperately afraid I'll be told it's WI3+ by a visiting friend from North America :D.
All the best,
--Michael

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1326 times in 902 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 am

So your response to someone disagreeing with you is to pitch a fit and start deleting content that so many others could have gotten benefit from? It was a nice article, not that it matters now. Just because one person doesn't like it is no reason to take your toys and go home. You wanted it to provoke thought did you not?

And when you feel someone is rude to you at work, do you turn around and erase your hard drive and quit your job?

Poor form from you Brian. Grow up.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
bscott, mconnell, norco17, WML

User Avatar
yatsek

 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:04 pm
Thanked: 59 times in 44 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by yatsek » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:13 am

mrchad9 wrote:And when you feel someone is rude to you at work, do you turn around and erase your hard drive and quit your job?

+1

User Avatar
Josh Lewis

 
Posts: 3325
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm
Thanked: 1017 times in 629 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Josh Lewis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:34 am

The same thing happened with Parofes. :x He got chased off from posting articles. I'll say the unfortunate truth about posting technical articles: You need thick skin to deal with bozo's who will pick apart your story and tell you that your work is useless. Your certainly not the only member who has gone through this, and unfortunately you will not be the last. To everyone else who writes articles, don't let people pin you out of what you know to be beneficial to the community at large.

Also why not remove the content from the pages rather than delete them? People's climbers logs get lost this way as well as attached pages. If it's about getting undeserved votes on the blank page, the elves can always clean the slate if needed. If you change your mind, I'm 95% sure the pages can be restored (unfortunately the climber logs are 100% gone).

User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Thanked: 687 times in 484 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Buz Groshong » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

mrchad9 wrote:So your response to someone disagreeing with you is to pitch a fit and start deleting content that so many others could have gotten benefit from? It was a nice article, not that it matters now. Just because one person doesn't like it is no reason to take your toys and go home. You wanted it to provoke thought did you not?

And when you feel someone is rude to you at work, do you turn around and erase your hard drive and quit your job?

Poor form from you Brian. Grow up.


Doesn't sound to me like you read all that the wrote. From reading what he wrote I got the impression that he had not taken this action in haste. I certainly don't support those who pitch a fit and delete all of their content and leave, but sometimes one can only take so much crap and a site is just no longer worth it. Everyone here is not as thick-skinned as some of us and, like any site, we have our share of bullies.

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1326 times in 902 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:So your response to someone disagreeing with you is to pitch a fit and start deleting content that so many others could have gotten benefit from? It was a nice article, not that it matters now. Just because one person doesn't like it is no reason to take your toys and go home. You wanted it to provoke thought did you not?

And when you feel someone is rude to you at work, do you turn around and erase your hard drive and quit your job?

Poor form from you Brian. Grow up.


Doesn't sound to me like you read all that the wrote. From reading what he wrote I got the impression that he had not taken this action in haste. I certainly don't support those who pitch a fit and delete all of their content and leave, but sometimes one can only take so much crap and a site is just no longer worth it. Everyone here is not as thick-skinned as some of us and, like any site, we have our share of bullies.

I read all that he wrote. I also read the posts on the latest article that apparently pushed him over the edge. Someone simply disagreed with him, and he didn't like it. He wasn't personally attacked or defiled anything. He's just pitching a fit.

Do you really expect to post an article on climbing ratings and get everyone to agree with what you wrote? WTF?!?!?

And Josh, there wasn't any 'bozo picking apart the work saying it was useless'. Cerrainly not on this article and most likely not on the other he referenced. That is mearly Brian's interpretation of his articles not getting unanimous consent. I don't know how this fellow is going to make anywhere with that kind of attitude.

User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Thanked: 709 times in 545 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Marmaduke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Brian received PM's, those of you who are chastising him do you know of the content of those PM's? Some SP members can at times be extremely full of themselves, they take "shots across the bow" at members for the sole reason as to incite and get very personal. Some display an unbelievable amount of arrogance at times as well. We do not know what were in those PM's, and I suspect it was much, much more than just disagreeing with a point of view.

I do agree that deleting content is very unnecessary.

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1326 times in 902 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 pm

From his post, it looks like Brian started the PMing and when he did he was demanding apologies and crap. And he probably didn't like the response he got. People don't just starting PMing to comment on articles, they do it with comments on the article itself.

Here in the OP we can see someone acting irrationally. Do you really have a lot of confidence in every little accusation he's making?

User Avatar
Vitaliy M.

 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 am
Thanked: 288 times in 216 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:19 pm

So when you write an article you ONLY expect a pat on the back from everyone? And when there is ONE member that finds your article to be useless, you pitch an e-fit? And pointing out how many views your profile got/how many pictures you posted is just sad. Big deal!

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Image

And Josh, there wasn't any 'bozo picking apart the work saying it was useless'.


I read the article and thought it was useless. Didn't say it out of courtesy, thought I should mention it since we are talking about it. I don't usually defend Chief, but he is right. Stop caring about the ratings so much and just go climb. There are many different styles of climbing (slab, technical face, overhanging face, finger cracks, hand cracks, chimneys, offwidths, ice climbing, mixed etc) go get dialed on all of them, in different areas of US, and than talk about ratings. Chances are, by than you won't care to as much.
Last edited by Vitaliy M. on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User Avatar
Scott

 
Posts: 8275
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:03 pm
Thanked: 1124 times in 584 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Scott » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:27 pm

People don't just starting PMing to comment on articles, they do it with comments on the article itself.


Actually, it (the PM thing) does happen. I don't pretend to know what when on here, but I know I have been PM'd by the person in question (not the one who wrote the article; the other one) because he disagreed with something I wrote. Mostly to say that I was all wrong, etc. Annoying, yes, but best ignored and not to be taken personally.

User Avatar
Fletch

 
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:46 pm
Thanked: 118 times in 68 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Fletch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:10 pm

If you are wrong, you are wrong. Its a far bigger injustice to let Brian post something that's wrong and not tell him about it. We all make mistakes and the benefit of SP is to learn from them (if you can) and a big part of that is being told what you are doing incorrectly.

I'd hate to post an article of a technical nature only to find out "i'm doing it wrong" --- that could be someone's life you are saving (I know, a bit dramatic, but true nonethless).

Obviously, one needs to be respectful and tactful when pointing out another's mistakes. The real question over why Brian is leaving is therefore (i) did he get his feelings hurt over what they said, or (ii) how they said it...

Both are not great reasons to quit. It's the internet. Again, please don't take this shit too seriously!

The following user would like to thank Fletch for this post
Buz Groshong, Josh Lewis, Kiefer, WML

User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Thanked: 1326 times in 902 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:35 pm

The Chief wrote:
"The Best climber out there is the one having the most fun!"


If you do not know who stated that, then you have absolutely no business climbing.

Marmaduke doesn't climb!

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Kiefer, lcarreau, Vitaliy M., WML

User Avatar
Vitaliy M.

 
Posts: 1015
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:23 am
Thanked: 288 times in 216 posts

Re: Sad Day for Me and a Goodbye to all Summitposters

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:42 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
The Chief wrote:
"The Best climber out there is the one having the most fun!"


If you do not know who stated that, then you have absolutely no business climbing.

Marmaduke doesn't climb!


Do you remember the list of 100 peaks he was gonna do over 3 years? :lol:

"My wife thinks I am crazy..."

Another reason to go out there and do things, instead of posting pointless claims/goals on the internet. Three years passed, and he hasn't even hiked ten of those peaks...

Next

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests