Denali training suggestions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
Basham

Denali training suggestions

by Basham » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:26 pm

I live at 400 feet elevation and the highest hill I can easily go up gets to about 900 feet. I've got a heavy backpack and something I can use as a sled. I obviously can't imitate the weather or elevation conditions, but maybe I can train hard enough to get myself to withstand those conditions. Probably put up to 80 lbs in my pack and 100 in the cart to make up the difference. Possibly fill the pack with ice. It wouldn't be the same, but it may help. Any of you ever trained in those conditions and succeeded Denali or some other high mountain?

radson

Re: Denali training suggestions

by radson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:09 pm

I did most of my training for Denali on a helicopter pad 20 m asl , 1 degree north of the equator. Hundreds and hundreds of squats, lunges, burpees and skipping

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:08 pm

When I climbed Denali I didn't do any training. All I did was climbed a bunch of 14'ers. But if you don't have 14'ers in your backyard then I'd do the following:

1. 1-2 hours easy run (nose breathing) 3x a week. Long run/hike on the weekend 5-10 hours. Trails are best for ankle stability & balance.
2. Strength training (back squat, front squat, bench press, overhead press). 4-5 reps, 4-5 sets 2x a week 3-5 mins rest in between sets. Skip two days between strength training.
3. Box step. 12 inches high, with boots and 50lbs pack 1-2 hours, 1-2 times a week.
4. Steep hills run or with a 50lb pack and/or drag a couple of tires. 1-2 times a week.

Alternate #1, 3 & 4

McCannster

by McCannster » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Road biking, at least a couple 40-60 mile rides per week.

punchline

by punchline » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:53 pm

I trained for Denali several years ago when I lived in Battle Creek, MI. I found a hotel that was 17 stories high. I spent several hours every Sunday morning climbing the stairs with my 70# pack. The maids thought I had a few screws loose. Mind Numbing … actually. Then I went to the Lake Michigan shoreline and climbed sand dunes with my pack for several hours at a time. Again, Mind Numbing. I rounded it out by using the elliptical trainer, treadmill and weights at my company’s gym. Although it took a lot of commitment and improvising with this “flatlander” plan, as a 47yr. old woman, I felt 100% capable, fit and strong (and summited!)

I also used the attached Denali Training guide from Alpine Ascents International as a “pulse check.”

https://www.alpineascents.com/denali-train.asp

Good Luck!

The following user would like to thank punchline for this post
Basham, buckie06

Return to Canada and Alaska