Arcteryx Bora 80

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
bernie3311

Arcteryx Bora 80

by bernie3311 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 pm

I hoping someone has had to deal with this at some point so I'm putting it out in hopes of some insight. I'm passing down an older Arcteryx Bora 80 to my 16yo son for a two week backpacking trip he will be taking in Squamish, BC , Canada this summer. The Bora was/is a great pack for long trips where you have to bring everything in with you. Arcteryx has helped me out with a new hip belt that will fit him, everything else fits perfect. When I used the pack I used a Platypus 2Lt Hydration System so it was not an issue for me I just put it in the kangaroo pouch with my rain gear. This will be his 3rd summer out and his longest backpacking trip yet, 8 day, 10 day, now a 12 day, he keeps growing that is why the hand me down pack :lol: . He prefers a Nalgene 32oz Wide Mouth , with a UV System as needed, that is the way he has done it from his first trip, I should add here that the trips he is going on are group trips with teens his own age, similar to Outward Bound. It seams that no one in the group was wanting to transfer water from the bottle to a Hydration System, to muck work I guess.I'm trying to convince him that this would work the best but teenagers ya know :roll: what do dads know :!:

Now that I got all that out of the way I will ask my question. Has anyone figured out a way to secure the water bottles in the side pockets of the older Bore 80 with out them falling out? Maybe a different kind of water bottle that I don't know about? I could use a carabiner but that will not keep the bottle from falling out of the pocket and if the plastic breaks where the carabiner is attached to the bottle it will be lost. I have also looked at attaching a water bottle pouch with the MOLLE webbing but that is just extra bits hanging off the bag to snag on branches and such.

Any advice?
Thank you in advance.
Bernie :D

moonspots

Re: Arcteryx Bora 80

by moonspots » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Well....shoot. My "rancher buddy" showed up here one day with an aluminum Budweiser "jar" with a knot tied around it's neck. The knot was quite - well, complex, but secure and not bulky. It's been a couple of years now, and as I think back on it, it would remind me of a triple clove hitch, or some such. He referred to it as a particular knot, but I don't recall what that was. Anyway, if you can do a 'net search and find this knot and tie it around the neck of the nalgene, I think that would be a good option to consider.

nickmech

Re: Arcteryx Bora 80

by nickmech » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Simple. Get one of the hip belt pouches that fit nalgene bottle, [think mine is OR brand], or shove it inside the pack.

Return to General