Climbing with my young daughter

Find climbing partners in Europe.
fernandoe@yahoo.com

Climbing with my young daughter

by fernandoe@yahoo.com » Wed May 23, 2018 11:40 pm

I am going to Switzerland July 15 to 25 with my 8 year old daughter. We are going to do some hiking and climbing. She is a pretty good climber; she has been climbing outdoor rock since age 3, is comfortable doing 5.8-5.9, can rappel solo, has experience in the Gunks and in the domes of Tuolumne Meadows. My original intent was to do a portion of Walker's Haute Route. However, after looking at some of the sections I am seeing 20 km distances with 1200 m climbs. I think these will be a bit challenging for her.

Questions:
1) Does anyone have any suggestions for a chain of huts or towns that could be done in 6-8 days, with walks that are on the less challenging side?

2) Does anyone know where I can download or order maps that show the hiking trails AND the mountain huts. If some of these longer walks could be broken in two, it would be perfect. But I cannot seem to find a map on line that shows if there might be an intermediate hut on that particular leg of the hike. The site for Swiss Alpine Club has a listing of all the huts, but they are listed by name and it is hard to understand where they are and which are clustered together.

3) What is an opinion of doing the Walker's Haute Route, and bringing my running stroller? If the walk is too tedious I could push her for sections of it. When she was 3, I pushed her from Vouvry to the Grammont, an elevation gain of about 1800 m.

Return to Europe