altitude sleep mask

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
skyward22

altitude sleep mask

by skyward22 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:00 am

Has anyone tried this garbage?

https://www.altimatemask.com/us/

no avatar
Diabetic11

Re: altitude sleep mask

by Diabetic11 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Exercise physiologist here. In order to cause altitude adaption, reduced partial pressure of oxygen is required. This just seems to restrict air flow, not reduce partial pressure, and won't aid in adaptation to hypoxia at high altitude.

Verdict: Garbage indeed.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm

The claim of the product has nothing to do with altitude adaptation in the way you describe it... that isn't what it does or is intended to do.

altimate_mask

by altimate_mask » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:19 pm

Thank you for your feedback and excellent points. As someone has mentioned, our product is not intended to speed up acclimatization to altitude - though that would be a great outcome! The Altimate* is intended to be worn while sleeping at altitude to reduce disrupted sleep caused by periodic breathing and reduce the severity of high-altitude headache. This is a class I medical device and therefore has all the required efficacy and safety testing and documentation. Additionally, it has been used on expeditions to Puncak Jaya, Machu Picchu, areas of Nepal and Kilimanjaro with positive feedback! Results from our initial study were recently presented at the Wilderness Medicine Society conference, which are pending publication.

no avatar
Diabetic11

by Diabetic11 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:05 pm

mrchad9 wrote:The claim of the product has nothing to do with altitude adaptation in the way you describe it... that isn't what it does or is intended to do.

You're right, my bad! Definitely glanced over it. Apologies :D

BolSon

by BolSon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:10 am

I've heared a lot about elevation training masks 3.0 that seem to work fine to train and adapt to hypoxia. That's based on the reviews, as I didn't have a chance to try one out by myself.

altimate_mask

by altimate_mask » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Elevation training masks are generally designed to simulate breathing at high altitude and improve athletic performance by creating resistance on inhalation to exercise inspiratory breathing muscles during activity. The Altimate™ High-Altitude Sleep Mask is designed to be used during sleep at high altitude and provides resistance on exhalation to minimize periodic breathing.

It is good for us to understand that there may be some confusion between these two devices, so thank you for this valuable feedback!

For more information on the difference between our High-Altitude Sleep Mask and Training Masks, please visit our FAQ page at: https://www.altimatemask.com/us/faq

BolSon

by BolSon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 am

Yeah, but I don't think there should be a lot of confusion, as the name says what it is. If it's a training mask, it's called training mask, if it's one you use for sleep at high altitude, it's called 'sleep mask'. Pretty much self-explanatory. However you may want to add an extra line in the product description, saying what the mask is normally used for.

altimate_mask

by altimate_mask » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:51 pm

BolSon,
Thank you for the feedback. We will look into your suggestion for further minimizing confusion!

no avatar
captain bruce

by captain bruce » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Has anyone tried it?

I regularly trek in Nepal and Ladakh. Last summer I got up to 6000 metres in indifferent but not cold weather. Last winter in Nepal when the ambient temperature was freezing/0 degrees and the wind chill a lot worse, i couldnt get above 4000 metres without my air passages constricting with asthma symptoms. i dont get asthma otherwise unless its really cold in the UK. Its not dangerous but its irritating - winter is a good time to trek.

I am not so dumb as to ask for medical advice on a website but can folks post "This works for me , " type advice?

I have tried a standard airpump nebuliser - doesnt work - although some people suggest over dosing on it - and the buff or facemask over my mouth and nose trick means I cant get enough air in to beathe well going uphill - so i cant trek.......

I dont get periodic breathing even sleeping at 5400 metres, is this mask going to help me trek uphill in daytime by reducing the cold air but still permitting the requisite gasping on ascents?
All anecdotes gratefully received

Return to Gear