Hiking tips near Boulder

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Rick B

Hiking tips near Boulder

by Rick B » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:44 am

In two weeks I will be in Boulder for work. I hope to be able to get out one or two days for some hiking / scrambling. What would you recommend me? I would be interested in nearby 13ers for instance. Are there any nearby that you could do as a day trip? Something not too crowded would also be great. Any tips are welcome! Thanks!!

Rick B

Re: Hiking tips near Boulder

by Rick B » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:13 am

Nobody? :(

McCannster

by McCannster » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Hey Rick,
Plenty of scrambling (minutes from central Boulder) and 13ers (many trailheads within 45-60 mins from Central Boulder).

Classic scrambles would be 1st/2nd/3rd Flatiron (be sure you are comfortable downclimbing anything you climb up, wear shoes with sticky rubber!). There will be plenty of people on those formations. There are plenty other formations in the Flatirons that will provide more adventure and solitude as well.

For 13ers, check out James Peak (East Moffat Trailhead), Mt Audubon (Brainerd Lake trailhead), or Mt Meeker (Longs Peak trailhead or Wild Basin trailhead).

I should be around, send me a PM if you want to get out, I live in town and can show you some fun things.

The following user would like to thank McCannster for this post
Rick B

seano

by seano » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Lots of 13ers nearby im the Indian Peaks behind Nederland. Arapahoe is a modest hike with a bit of scrambling and a view of one of the area’s small glaciers.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Rick B

Rick B

by Rick B » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:01 am

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, that really helped me on my way! If I can manage to escape a day of work here I will try one of the 13ers you suggested, otherwise I'll try to get out in the Flatirons (or both if I'm lucky).

Rick B

by Rick B » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:44 am

Just reporting back here: I ended up on South & North Arapaho peaks, which were just perfect for me.

I went out early when it was still dark, enjoyed the sunrise on the saddle, and then did the two peaks. The connecting ridge was exactly what I was looking for, just some fun scrambling without too much stress and no other people that day :) It was a bit windy though, but behind the summit cairn on North Pk it was still very pleasant and I got to enjoy the views.

Then the next day I did a small hike in the Flatirons, sunrise breakfast on Green Mountain, before flying home later that day :)

So thanks for the tips, they helped me making the most of my very limited time in Boulder..!

The following user would like to thank Rick B for this post
rgg

Return to Colorado