Mount Woodworth

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
sierraman

Mount Woodworth

by sierraman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Last week I ascended Mount Woodworth, at the southern end of the Black Divide in Kings Canyon NP. This otherwise unremarkable peak was formerly renowned for hosting the oldest summit register in the Sierra, placed in 1893 during the first recorded ascent. I say formerly, since the RCS replaced the original register in 1992. Mine was the 13th recorded ascent since the register was replaced 26 years ago. On page 1 of the register it is written "Please do not remove this register until all pages are filled". My entry completed page 5 of the 100 page register. At the present rate the register will be filled in around 500 years. Nice to know some future peak bagger will be reading my entry in the year 2518.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
boyblue, seano, ZeeJay

no avatar
Palisades79

Re: Mount Woodworth

by Palisades79 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:13 pm

In 1978 ,John Fischer & I found a first ascent record on Bivouac Peak between Middle Palisade & Clyde Peak that had been signed by Jules Eichorn % Glen Dawson on July 30 ,1930 .Only Don Jensen & clients had signed it twice in the 1960's .It was still there in 1979 .It is the oldest in place record I've ever seen.Glen Dawson was only 17 when he & Eichorn made their ascents in the Palisades during the Sierra Club High Trips.

Return to California