Yunnan Province, China Peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Lehiboy

Yunnan Province, China Peaks

by Lehiboy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:51 am

OK, forgive the newbie. I am looking at taking my family to Sichuan/Yunnan China next June. We are not serious climbers, but we are looking to push our family record for highest peak bagged (would need to be 14,500 feet or higher). Any suggestions of any non-technical climbs we could do?

We are 18 and older, family of five, and very experienced backpackers.

Any suggestions deeply appreciated.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Yunnan Province, China Peaks

by Scott » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 am

The trek around Gongga Shan reaches over 16,000 feet. You could probably find a peak to scramble up from the circuit.

I assume you already know this, but June is the monsoon and not the best time to climb and trek in the region.

Donald Tang

Re: Yunnan Province, China Peaks

by Donald Tang » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 pm

I am living in Chengdu, Sicuan province. I am familiar with Sicuan climbing and trekking. Based on the information you described, I could give the suggestion of two options:

1. option one, Minya Konka trek only or + climbing, trek will take 7 days from and back Chengdu city , will meet the highest pass 4700m. If you are stronger, then could try to 3 days climb Nama peak 5588m which is a basic skilled snow mountain, only needs walking in crampons. Trek+climbing total 10 days, high value! June will have some raining, but still be ok, most chinese are doing trekking and climbing in June.

2. Option two, going to Mt. Siguniang,called Oriental Alps, there are Dafeng 5025m, Erfeng 5276m are trekking level peak , four seasons can be accessible,june is spring and flower season.

Return to Asia