New editor (TinyMCE) -- REPORT BUGS HERE

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Matt Miller
Site Admin

New editor (TinyMCE) -- REPORT BUGS HERE

by Matt Miller » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:14 pm

A new editor was deployed today after much negative feedback and many problems with the newest version of the editor that was put in place earlier this year. That editor was completely removed and I am guessing that no one will miss it.

The new editor has been tested, but not exceptionally thoroughly. Please post any bugs related to the new editor to this thread. Thanks!

Josh Lewis

Re: New editor (TinyMCE) -- REPORT BUGS HERE

by Josh Lewis » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:46 am

So far this is my favorite editor I've yet seen implemented on SummitPost. :D Admittedly was already familiar with TinyMCE; out of the box it's pretty darn stable on SP! A few things I noticed:

1. The new menu item File > New Document clears everything off the editor. It should say something like "Clear Entire Page" so that people don't think it's opening a new tab for another page.

new document.png
new document.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 17508 times

As you can see the word choice "New Document" is misleading.

2. When editing an existing photo caption on the page (clicking the photo caption) it turns the photo into an iframe by loading an object with an ID of "tinymce_content_ifr" as seen here:

tinymce.png
tinymce.png (371.17 KiB) Viewed 17509 times

Nerdy detail: Checked the editor source code which only shows the figure rather than the newly replaced iframe object. In other words what you see in the screen shot is not actually loaded through the editor unless it cannot detect the iframe from the source.

If the new photo was inserted from the editor editing the caption works just fine. This is regarding existing SP images that were inserted from the "Insert Image from SP" button.

3. Editor > Toolbar > Insert Image from SP or Web The image box clears each time you insert a photo. The ancient editor was great because it would not clear your existing queried search items. Not only does this take more time/effort but is also more taxing on the database per image insertion.

4. Consider consolidating the button "Insert Image from SP or Web". I propose having the "Insert/Edit image" button removed and it's contents parked below the insert page results as seen here:

consolidated.png
consolidated.png (26.78 KiB) Viewed 17509 times

This would reduce the number of buttons and make it really easy to go back and forth between inserting photos and uploading new ones. External photos would still be very straight forward. Most of us insert from the site not due to what we are used to; but because page authors often use images from other members or "recycle them" from their TRs, albums, ect.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:01 am

Thanks for the feedback Josh. I read through your post quickly and I might need some clarification on a few things, but I think I can amend the editor to your suggestions that I understand.

It's late and it's been a long day for me. I won't get a chance to do much work for the next couple of days, but I will be back at this on Sunday and trying to fix any bugs reported before then.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:12 am

Added some clarity but it might take a video to explain one of my points. Let me know which one and I'll take a different approach at explaining it. Eventually the Adding image vs Adding Images should be consolidated into a single item which can be done by having an "Attach Existing" link/button on top of the bulk upload as seen here:

Add existing.png
Add existing.png (33.89 KiB) Viewed 17498 times

MikeLJ

by MikeLJ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:23 pm

I have tried to post a new "Mountain/Rock" page to the Branderberger Alpen page.
My first try, I tried to cut and paste some text into the "Overview" but there is no "Paste" option. I tried to remember the keyboard shortcut but was thrown out of SP (Maybe I got that wrong!)
Second/ Third etc.... I just filled in the opening page descriptions and tried to submit. When I click the "Submit" button the view changes to HTML language and only allows me to return to the previous page.
Still no "Paste" option.
The new page is not saved (as fas as I can see).
Am I doing something wrong or is it just not working?.
For what it's worth.... I was fine with the recent editor!
Mike

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:54 pm

MikeLJ wrote:My first try, I tried to cut and paste some text into the "Overview" but there is no "Paste" option. I tried to remember the keyboard shortcut

You have to use the following shortcuts:
Ctrl+c = copy
Ctrl+v = paste
Ctrl+x = cut

MikeLJ wrote:but was thrown out of SP (Maybe I got that wrong!)

What was thrown out?

MikeLJ wrote:When I click the "Submit" button the view changes to HTML language and only allows me to return to the previous page.

I can't follow what you're saying in this sentence. Can you clarify?

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
MikeLJ

MikeLJ

by MikeLJ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi Matt,
I had a few more goes today.
After initially having the same problems - when I created the page and selected "Submit", I was faced with a whole load of HTML script - I then reverted to the "Old" editor to create the page successfully. When I tried the new editor again, it worked at first until I made a change to the summit height and it went wrong again.
I now think that it was because I had typed in an "m" (for metres) which is not needed. Possibly the HTML text was an error message but as I don't usually try to read it I didn't notice?
Either way, once I realised my mistake and corrected it, the new editor worked ok.
When I tried to use "Paste" I got an error message saying my browser is not compatible so I used the keyboard shortcuts and again, all was ok - I must have used the wrong ones before.
I also used the bulk image uploader and it was much quicker.
Sorry for the false alarm.
Mike

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:33 pm

MikeLJ wrote:Possibly the HTML text was an error message but as I don't usually try to read it I didn't notice?

Yes, it was likely an error message due to the "m" entered in a field that should be numbers only. We should add a check to that on the front end with javascript instead of waiting until trying to insert into the database and then throwing an error. I will mark that down as a "to do" item.

I'm glad to hear that you got the rest of the stuff sorted out! Thanks for contributing here and feel free to post again if you have further issues.

MikeLJ

scramblingbadger

by scramblingbadger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:34 pm

With a bit of apprehension, I tried a few minor updates on one of my pages. Hey, this new editor works great! Thanks Matt!

The following user would like to thank scramblingbadger for this post
Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback scramblingbadger! Please let me know if you have any feature requests that you'd like to see added. We are in the process of making lots of changes to the website, now primarily focused on how pages are presented and how the search interface works. But we'd like to make it as easy as possible to contribute new pages as well. And we will continue to work on improving the overall function of the site. Any feedback that is offered is helpful!

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger

by scramblingbadger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm

And we will continue to work on improving the overall function of the site. Any feedback that is offered is helpful!

All your work on improving the functioning of SP is greatly appreciated. Is there any way we could require new pages to be completed before they are allowed to be posted - kind of like how online registrations have "required fields"? There are many, many great pages on SP, but numerous nearly-empty pages detract from the overall quality of SP.

I still like the idea of offsetting the large costs of developing and maintaining SP with membership donations and finding partial sponsors. Improving the functioning and and overall quality of SP will help make both those options more attractive.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:01 am

scramblingbadger wrote:Is there any way we could require new pages to be completed before they are allowed to be posted - kind of like how online registrations have "required fields"? There are many, many great pages on SP, but numerous nearly-empty pages detract from the overall quality of SP.

I agree. I think this is going to have to have some human element to it because people already have the ability to mark a page as "Under Construction" but don't use it as they should. It is likely going to require a person or two who checks on newly submitted pages (and goes over old ones when there are no new ones) for completeness and accuracy. I believe the elves did this historically but it hasn't been done for a while now. If anyone would be willing to do it, I would be happy to give them admin privileges. Otherwise, I'll try to find some time to go through pages myself or get a friend or my wife to help.

scramblingbadger wrote:I still like the idea of offsetting the large costs of developing and maintaining SP with membership donations and finding partial sponsors. Improving the functioning and and overall quality of SP will help make both those options more attractive.

Again, agreed. I'm trying to make the place "look presentable" before asking anyone to donate or sponsor the site. My hope is to have a much more attractive and functional SummitPost by late winter or early spring.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Ctrl+c = copy
Ctrl+v = paste
Ctrl+x = cut

Matt, this works, but is there anyway to change this? It seems better for (especially new) membership if adding pages would become easier rather than more complicated.

Just a suggestion.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Scott wrote:
Ctrl+c = copy
Ctrl+v = paste
Ctrl+x = cut

Matt, this works, but is there anyway to change this? It seems better for (especially new) membership if adding pages would become easier rather than more complicated.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion Scott! Those options are also in the editor window under the "Edit" drop-down menu:
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-01-01 13.07.14.png
Screenshot 2019-01-01 13.07.14.png (168.49 KiB) Viewed 16863 times

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 am

I'm having major problems with photo orientation in all the editors, including the new one.

Why are some of the photos on this page left orientated and some center orientated?

https://www.summitpost.org/the-quill/1028112

Center orientation is chosen in both the Old Editor and the New.

Next

Return to Site Feedback