Front page trip reports/articles

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bill Reed

Front page trip reports/articles

by Bill Reed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Just curious as to why, since the big changes to the site, nothing seems to change here-Same trip reports, same articles, month after month.
No offense meant to the members who posted these TRs and articles but I think that everyone that wanted to know what really happened to Charity Stevens on Mount Shasta figured that out long ago.

Just curious........

The following user would like to thank Bill Reed for this post
ZeeJay

Matt Miller
Site Admin

Re: Front page trip reports/articles

by Matt Miller » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 pm

We used to have a rotation schedule for elves to change stuff on the front page, but I'm not sure that it has been followed in a long time.

Are you volunteering to help with it? We could use some more help with this aspect of the site it seems.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Automate it... so that if a trip report or article meets certain thresholds... like a specific number of votes, or page views, and has a certain number of pictures or whatever... it is automatically featured. I would guess this is how larger platforms manage this part of their content.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Bill Reed, Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Automate it... so that if a trip report or article meets certain thresholds... like a specific number of votes, or page views, and has a certain number of pictures or whatever... it is automatically featured. I would guess this is how larger platforms manage this part of their content.

Great idea.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 pm

You could also take into account how much interest each individual picture in the TR/article generated.

The following user would like to thank ZeeJay for this post
Bill Reed, Matt Miller

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 pm

I'd suggest putting them up for two weeks and call it good. Agree with ZeeJay and mrchad9 - choose the next batch by interest/votes. If it doesn't reach a certain threshold, post good ones from the past. There's plenty of those out there!

Matt Miller

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:36 pm

How about if timing of rotation is dependent upon whether or not other new pages meet the threshold. i.e. if none meet the threshold, then leave things up for 1-2 weeks, otherwise 3-4 days so that more pages have a chance to be featured.

Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:48 pm

ZeeJay wrote:How about if timing of rotation is dependent upon whether or not other new pages meet the threshold. i.e. if none meet the threshold, then leave things up for 1-2 weeks, otherwise 3-4 days so that more pages have a chance to be featured.

I featured a few articles myself a few weeks ago when I noticed they weren't being updated. I tried to choose articles and trip reports that had never been featured before. I was surprised at how many had been featured before. It took a lot of digging to find one that hadn't already been featured. I suppose it would be OK to feature the same few dozen trip reports and articles on a rotating basis since many people are viewing the site for the first time or miss seeing the front page for several weeks, so even if they'd been featured before the articles or TRs would be new to most people.

Silvia Mazzani
Forum Moderator

by Silvia Mazzani » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Montana Matt wrote:I featured a few articles myself a few weeks ago when I noticed they weren't being updated. I tried to choose articles and trip reports that had never been featured before. I was surprised at how many had been featured before. It took a lot of digging to find one that hadn't already been featured.

Matt, even if it's not a task of mine, i also featured a few articles from time to time when I noticed that they had not been changed on the front page for a long time and I also found the same: many of thems had already been selected. The real problem is that since a long time there are few contributors creating articles, so it's difficult to select new ones.

The following user would like to thank Silvia Mazzani for this post
Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Silvia Mazzani wrote:The real problem is that since a long time there are few contributors creating articles, so it's difficult to select new ones.

Yes, I think we should start re-featuring articles at this point. This site is old enough that most new members or visitors to the website probably haven't seen many of the previously featured articles.

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 pm

FYI, there are 192 pages (I think 30 to a page) of TRs, but only 14 pages of articles, so yes, please recycle.

Matt Miller

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 pm

IMHO - Sounds like articles aren't a strong feature of this site. Perhaps they don't deserve to be shown on equal footing with trip reports. Mountain or area pages might be a better fit for that prime slot. Plenty of those I'm thinking.
Don't know the mechanics of changing it, I suppose it might be too involved. Makes more sense to me though.

Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Bill Reed wrote:IMHO - Sounds like articles aren't a strong feature of this site. Perhaps they don't deserve to be shown on equal footing with trip reports. Mountain or area pages might be a better fit for that prime slot. Plenty of those I'm thinking.
Don't know the mechanics of changing it, I suppose it might be too involved. Makes more sense to me though.

It wouldn't be hard at all to change what content is shown on the front page. I don't know why it was decided to show articles there...I suppose to generate interest to write them or because there were some very good ones written and Josh and/or Ryle or one or more of the elves at the time the decision was made thought it would be valuable to show them.

If people have suggestions or feedback about what content is displayed on the front page (the look is going to change as well because it doesn't look good on mobile devices), please feel free to make suggestions.

Return to Site Feedback