Watzmann

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
franac.7

Watzmann

by franac.7 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a normal trekker who has done quite a lot of mountains in the Pyrenees and with scrambling experience, but I don't climb, although I have no fear of cliffs. This summer I wanted to climb the Watzmann, approximately on the middle of June, but I have checked and the ridge is better to do it without snow or ice. Anyone knows what are the snow conditions of the Watzmann around middle June? Also, it is a difficult route doing all the ridge and going down by the Wimbachtal route?

Thank you all.

selinunte01

Re: Watzmann

by selinunte01 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi franac.7

the Watzmann traverse is a great outing for someone who already has some experience with scrambling up to UIAA grade II and is not anxious about vertigo. Nevertheless it is a long and demanding traverse which requires a day without bad weather or thunderstorms. The most difficult parts between Hocheck and Mittelspitze are secured with iron ropes and some iron pegs helping a lot if there still is snow on parts of the ridge. The second and longer part between Mittelspitze and Südspitze is only partly secured. The descent from Südspitze into Wimbachgries is steep, partly secured with iron ropes and requires a good stamina.

As to snow conditions in middel of june thats difficult to predict. Actually there is a lot of snow on Watzmann due to heavy April snowfall. Most of it normally should be gone by middle of june but rests may still linger on some parts of the traverse.

To get an idea you might have a look on my trip report about a Watzmann traverse in november.

The following user would like to thank selinunte01 for this post
franac.7

Return to Europe