Weather this weekend?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Brian Jenkins

Weather this weekend?

by Brian Jenkins » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:02 am

Anyone see a decent spot in the Cascades/North Cascades this weekend weatherwise? Been searching around and was planning on Glacier Peak but that looks like 70-80% chance of showers low/snow high (Darrington area). Lake Chelan area maybe??
Looks crappy in the North Cascades, Olympics, Oregon Cascades, etc. Just wondering if anyone found a spot where the forecast looks favorable.

(Always have a backup plan.......................I really need to get one of these!)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:34 am

The remnants of a tropical storm will be coming up through Arizona over the weekend.

When the weather's "crappy" in AZ, you better believe it's crappy somewhere else.

Best of luck, Brian!

Norman

North Cascades Weather

by Norman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:55 pm

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... it=0&lg=en
We were hoping to do Baker one more time. I don't think so...

Moni

by Moni » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:04 pm

tazz wrote:sorry Brian but the only place that i have found is vantage or smith! OR you could go back to the wallowas!! only 30% instead of 50-90%.

cascades will be wet.... :(

Not only wet but cold: snowline is supposed to 7500 feet. Fred went to Montana, but the weather is very iffy for Saturday onwards there too with snow in the forecast for the higher elevations.

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Ooh, that forecast looks worse than Glacier Peak. Sorry, Norman.

Yeah, I contemplated the Wallowas again but was hoping to stay closer. My climbing partner this weekend is from Everett so I can't see him wanting to head all the way out there. What a big bummer. It's already rained here a bit this morning in Portland.

no avatar
Justin Pucci

by Justin Pucci » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:30 pm

twoshuzz wrote:
Moni wrote:
tazz wrote:sorry Brian but the only place that i have found is vantage or smith! OR you could go back to the wallowas!! only 30% instead of 50-90%.

cascades will be wet.... :(

Not only wet but cold: snowline is supposed to 7500 feet. Fred went to Montana, but the weather is very iffy for Saturday onwards there too with snow in the forecast for the higher elevations.

Local news here in PDX puts Cascade snow levels at 6500 ft. Things are supposed to warm back up beginning early next week. Maples are already starting to color up. Early fall ?

My wife and I were planning on Mt Daniel, but the forecast says 9+ inches of snow above 6000' through Monday. It's winter in the Cascades again... :)

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:04 pm

After doing a lot of seaching through the NOAA and wunderground forecasts, there might be a small window (only 20-30% chance of showers) in the Leavenworth/Cle Elum area for Monday. Might do a day in the Enchantments. Pasaytans look ok for Monday and everything east, especially eastern Oregon where it looks to be partly to full on sun Monday. Other than that, from the Cascades crest on west looks like, oh, about 100% chance of showers and thunderstorms through Sunday.

Well, you take what you can get.................... :roll:
Sure would like to get a few more weekends in the mountains still this year before the cragging season begins. Raining all morning here in Portland.

nickmech

by nickmech » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:56 am

The weather forcast sure cancelled my plans for the weekend. Stayed home and worked on the honey-do list and it's been sunny with broken clouds all day. Will try to get in a day hike on Monday afternoon.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:47 am

Just saw this post now, but yeah... our Shuksan trip did not come together this weekend :( .

I too looked @ forecasts for everywhere and came up dry (or wet as the case may be).

Doing local day hikes on the North shore by day & socializing by night.

Brian, it was going to be me, Ian & Ken on Shuksan. When we re-plan, you should come!

Moni

by Moni » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:06 am

This from WADOT weather site:

THIS WEATHER PATTERN WILL HAVE THE GREATEST IMPACT ON THE MOUNTAIN
BACKCOUNTRY...AND PEOPLE PLANNING TRIPS THERE SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR
POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS COLD AND WET WEATHER.

THE SNOW LEVEL WILL FALL TO AROUND 6000 FEET BY SUNDAY...AND ONE TO
TWO FEET OF NEW SNOWFALL IS LIKELY ABOVE THE SNOW LEVEL. WINDS OF 25
TO 40 MPH SHOULD BE EXPECTED ON HIGHER EXPOSED RIDGES AND SLOPES...

Guess summer is over.

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:38 am

Hey Eileen, yeah Ian emailed me but I had already planned my Glacier Peak trip. We will definitely have to do another climb together soon. He's really got his eye on that one route, eh? :D

Oh, Moni. That was like a dagger in the heart of summer. :cry: Nothing to do now but.............BRING ON FOOTBALL!

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Brian Jenkins wrote:He's really got his eye on that one route, eh? :D

.... did you just say "eh?" :lol:

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:00 am

Apparently, I've been living too close to Canada. :shock:

rpc

by rpc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:38 pm

Moni wrote:This from WADOT weather site:

THIS WEATHER PATTERN WILL HAVE THE GREATEST IMPACT ON THE MOUNTAIN
BACKCOUNTRY...AND PEOPLE PLANNING TRIPS THERE SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR
POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS COLD AND WET WEATHER.

THE SNOW LEVEL WILL FALL TO AROUND 6000 FEET BY SUNDAY...AND ONE TO
TWO FEET OF NEW SNOWFALL IS LIKELY ABOVE THE SNOW LEVEL. WINDS OF 25
TO 40 MPH SHOULD BE EXPECTED ON HIGHER EXPOSED RIDGES AND SLOPES...

Guess summer is over.

no, no it wasn't quite over :) ...just have to know where to look (ok, just have to get lucky I guess)

So Brian, where's that TR?

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:04 pm

No TR yet. I actually got out and headed east this weekend where the weather was 69 and sunny in the Strawberry Mountains. The trip back was interesting where I about ran out of gas in Mitchell. Fortunately, we were able to convince a guy to reopen the Pacific Pride pump and let us get enough to get to Prineville although there was a sort-of Deliverance moment in there for a minute where I was going to sacrifice my friend, Jim to the locals. But that would be another trip report.........................

Next

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)