Welsh Lakes, Purcell Range, BC

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
AlexeyD

Welsh Lakes, Purcell Range, BC

by AlexeyD » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Planning to spend a few days in this area in mid-August...possible objectives include Antrim, Alpha Centauri, Carmarthen, North Star, Killarney. Anyone familiar with this area or know any useful beta otherwise?

Thanks!

no avatar
Smerxx

Re: Welsh Lakes, Purcell Range, BC

by Smerxx » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi again, Alexey;

I have hiked to Welsh lakes but not climbed around the lake itself. It is a beautiful area. Have you considered basing your stay in the Olive hut up the Catamount glacier? Same driving approach though further up the Forster creek road, an easy glacier to the hut, and a very pretty little stone hut perched high above the glacier. The hut sleeps 6 maximum and is booked through the Columbia valley huts society. We climbed many of the peaks around the hut and it is easy to cross over to the North Star glacier and climb North Star peak as well. Welsh lakes would put you down in the alpine with more rock and less glacier travel. Just a suggestion. It would be wise to check with the BC forest service on road conditions. I am not sure if the road off Forster creek to the Welsh lakes trail head is driveable any more. It was rough enough when I was in there several years ago. The main Forster creek road is driveable, I think, though a bit rough and grassy up to the snowmobile/snow cat staging area. It would be a back pack from there up the valley then up the old morraines to the Catamount glacier.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Smerxx wrote:Hi again, Alexey;

I have hiked to Welsh lakes but not climbed around the lake itself. It is a beautiful area. Have you considered basing your stay in the Olive hut up the Catamount glacier? Same driving approach though further up the Forster creek road, an easy glacier to the hut, and a very pretty little stone hut perched high above the glacier. The hut sleeps 6 maximum and is booked through the Columbia valley huts society. We climbed many of the peaks around the hut and it is easy to cross over to the North Star glacier and climb North Star peak as well. Welsh lakes would put you down in the alpine with more rock and less glacier travel. Just a suggestion. It would be wise to check with the BC forest service on road conditions. I am not sure if the road off Forster creek to the Welsh lakes trail head is driveable any more. It was rough enough when I was in there several years ago. The main Forster creek road is driveable, I think, though a bit rough and grassy up to the snowmobile/snow cat staging area. It would be a back pack from there up the valley then up the old morraines to the Catamount glacier.

Hey Smerxx,

Thanks for the beta! I did consider the Olive hut, but figured that the lakes would be a nicer wilderness setting for a base camp. Also, we are somewhat limited on time, so I was looking at something with a short approach, and it seems like the one to the lakes is somewhat shorter than to the hut (hence dropping the idea of going to Earl Gray Pass - too long of a hike in). In any case, I will definitely inquire about road conditions before heading out.

Thanks again,

AD

no avatar
Smerxx

by Smerxx » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Alexey; If you are still following this thread, I just heard from a friend that the BC Forest guy responsible for roads was up Forster creek to "the end" (It is walkable for a couple of km beyond where it is driveable) and reported the road in good shape. No report on the Welsh lakes branch.

The following user would like to thank Smerxx for this post
AlexeyD

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:42 pm

I am indeed - this is very good to know, thank you! Even if the Welsh Lakes spur is impassable, it's not that long of a walk from what I understand, so it appears that this trip is still doable.

Thanks again,

A.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Back from BC at last. Spent 4 days in the Welsh Lakes basin as planned; summitted Antrim and attempted Alpha Centauri, but got shut down by a 200-foot vertical pinnacle on SE ridge around 9500'. Spectacular country out there! Pics, TR and maybe some pages to come.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Purcells page up and under construction...gradually adding photos as I have time. Many more to come! Additional pages of Welsh Lakes as a logistical center, as well as summit pages for some local peaks, are possible as well. Any contributions welcome!

Return to Canada and Alaska