West Fork Blacks Fork (Uintas) trailhead access

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Reach11

West Fork Blacks Fork (Uintas) trailhead access

by Reach11 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:32 am

Got a trip planned up the West Fork of Black's Fork. I've never used this specific trail head. From what I've read, it seems the road can get pretty bad. If I understand correctly, most people stop before a stream crossing. Is the road up to that point passable in a passenger car? We are trying to avoid having to get a truck, but can if necessary. Any info you can pass on is appreciated!

byates

by byates » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:33 am

I've did the drive in a 2wd 78, Toyota p.u in 96, had no problem. waded the ford. This time of year wading not so bad but i wouldn't risk driving the ford without high clearance.

no avatar
Reach11

by Reach11 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear. Guess we'll give it shot and see how far we get.

46and2

by 46and2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:03 am

Back in 2003 we drove a Nissan Xtera across the river with no problems, driving up as far as the Smiths Fork (North Slope) Trail crossing. The road does kind of suck and really starts to get rough from there on. I think it is another 1.5 to 2 miles to the "official" TH from there.

Apparently there is a bridged crossing a few hundred yards below the river crossing.

Return to Utah