What is happening with SPers?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
goldenhopper

Re: What is happening with SPers?

by goldenhopper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm

My original profile had a handful of pages and I can remember specifically NOT wanting people to vote on them. I'd rather prefer a personal message with a thank you or better yet further inquiry into detail. I think it's more important that someone find the page useful than to vote on it; especially since the voting system is so flawed and can often have little to do with he quality of the page.

I think for many it's the actual making of the page that is the most rewarding part of the process. Someone finding it useful or enjoyable is just a bonus; even if you they never vote and you never know about it.

PAROFES

by PAROFES » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 pm

phlipdascrip wrote:If you're here just to collect votes you've come to the wrong place. The motivation of most contributors is to share knowledge and to help out others. Not every person who finds contributions helpful leaves a vote or is a registered user in the first place.

I never said that. Please drop the rocks...

PAROFES

by PAROFES » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks to all readers and its answers, most of them were very interesting and enlightening.

1st: I'll never delete photos that belong to some mountain page because of course that compromises the quality of the page.
2nd: I never said i'm here just for the votes, and i quote: "From my point of view, the vote means gratitude, recognition, appreciation, respect, adoration, fellowship, partnership and friendship."

The "vote" is a consequence, which to me means something.

I am just impressed that in a short period of time things changed too much. Six months ago I use to post a picture and hours later I had several votes. This doesn't happen anymore. And i'm not the only one. What i said could be said by dozens of SPers out there. And if i recall, Sarah and i talked about that months ago.

I think too much, obviously, as a historian I am supposed to think too much.

Anyway, thanks everyone.

Greetings

Parofes

surgent

by surgent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Way back in aught-3, I posted a page for Vulture Mountain in Arizona, a popular and somewhat challenging scramble northwest of Phoenix. The page is still up, by the way. I noticed that a few years later, I was still the only one to sign the log. So I asked, "Has no one else climbed this peak? Surely it's not that unpopular, people in the Phx area climb it all the time..."

That devolved into a thread where I was gently accused of seeking more votes for the page, when I never said any such thing. Somehow, I had riled up the "too cool to vote" crowd.

I suspect if I were to create a thread where I raged about boats, the TCTV crowd would here the phonemes as "page about votes" and go on and on about how it's not about the votes, so on.

Generally, any well-done page about any peak will be seen positively, so post away! The votes are just an after effect.

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 pm

surgent wrote:Way back in aught-3, I posted a page for Vulture Mountain in Arizona, a popular and somewhat challenging scramble northwest of Phoenix. The page is still up, by the way. I noticed that a few years later, I was still the only one to sign the log. So I asked, "Has no one else climbed this peak? Surely it's not that unpopular, people in the Phx area climb it all the time..."

That devolved into a thread where I was gently accused of seeking more votes for the page, when I never said any such thing. Somehow, I had riled up the "too cool to vote" crowd.

I suspect if I were to create a thread where I raged about boats, the TCTV crowd would here the phonemes as "page about votes" and go on and on about how it's not about the votes, so on.

Generally, any well-done page about any peak will be seen positively, so post away! The votes are just an after effect.

Back looking for votes again are we? :wink: :lol:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:07 pm

What upsets me is that Larry hasn't voted on the Vulture Peak page, even though that bird was his avatar. I would have voted higher (I can do that, I've seen Spinal Tap), but you didn't have a picture of the register.

gabr1

by gabr1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Dear PAROFES,
i must confess being one of those that are often guilty of not voting.
I really like your pages and the style you use to say things, and this goes also for many other SPers, and i am really happy when a page from an author i enjoy reading appeares.
So why don't i vote?
I really don't know. Probably it's that bad form of lazyness people get when so many good things surround them and they lose the need to show how much they actually appreciate them.

There might be many other reasons why people (and I) don't take those 3 seconds to give back something, but i think the main one is lazyness.
The thing is that often i would vote for a page, i know i like it, but then i just keep browsing. I say i'll go back later, and then i seldom do.

So, thank you for this reminder, and for my part, i will try to give back to all of you who give me such interesting things to read and wonderful photos to dream over.
I will be voting much more from now on.

The following user would like to thank gabr1 for this post
PAROFES

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Trust me I know exactly how you feel. My profile picture I feel was one of my greater photos and only has a few votes. Unfortunately the "The infallible method to become POTD and POTW" is coming true. Now I'm not encouraging this, but I have noticed lately I been to busy to comment and vote on other people's content, and I noticed as a result my content/photos has gotten less votes. So the way I look as SP is that your vote does not account necessarily for the quality of your photo. So I recommend not removing your photos on the account of people not voting on them. On facebook I post some good photos of mine and get no comments or likes, then funny that one day someone randomly stumbles upon one and comments on it. Next thing I know everyone notices it and likes it. :lol:

My proposal would be some kind of photo appreciation thread where "under appreciated photos get a mentioning". I know there's a album for this but a forum boosts the topic and is "less static" in ways. But a big lesson I learned from sp is don't take votes and points so seriously, sometimes I don't vote on photos I like here on sp. Not because I'm mean :wink: , but sometimes I may save a 10 for a "amazing photo".

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
PAROFES

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:54 pm

surgent

by surgent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Fletch wrote:
goldenhopper wrote:Back looking for votes again are we? :wink: :lol:

Hey, hey... take it easy on Scott. 8)

Of all the people in the world who's beta I use, he's in my top 5... he's a legend in my book!

But yeah, he's probably looking for votes... :lol: :D

Aside from my age, my SSN and my wife's birthday, my voting power is the only number that means anything to me.

Actually, I'm kind of partial to Image also.

Votes, boats, coats, you name it...

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 pm

anita wrote:so how much time in a day do you people spend looking at your pictures/pages/articles and comparing the # of hits vs # of votes?

Sounds like you might have an idea how much is to much?
我不知道杰克

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:09 am

anita wrote:so how much time in a day do you people spend looking at your pictures/pages/articles and comparing the # of hits vs # of votes?

I spend approximately (pi)^2 * {limit(as n->inf)(1 + 1/n)^n} minutes per day.

I'm mainly interested in the number of Easter eggs found, versus the number of votes.

rockymtnclimber

by rockymtnclimber » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:39 am

I actually really enjoy many of the pages, and find a lot of information on SP very valuable, but I RARELY vote. Do you really post things to get recognition? I know some people climb for recognition, but that seems to spoil the purity of it for me! Why should writing about it be much different? Sure, I am OCCASIONALLY thanked for a comment I make, but that's not why I make the comments. I figure I have something to contribute.

If you think you have something to contribute, then do so. At some point, someone else will appreciate it, even if they don't tell you they appreciate it. I don't think that means there's anything wrong with SPers.

darinchadwick

by darinchadwick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:00 pm

When ever I look around for a climb to do I always check on summitpost to see if the route or mountain is taken yet. If it is, I choose someplace else. I mean, if I can't post it after, and rake in the votes, whats the point of climbing?
Seriously, this is still the best worldwide climbing guide in existence. For example, I based my Triglav climb in Slovenia based solely on information I got from Summitpost, and had a great climb. And it's always a thrill to see that others have used my information in their adventures.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:14 pm

I agree with the sentiment of not putting much (any) emphasis on votes. Yes, it may and most likely is a nice encouragment and token of appreciation for many, but it should not be taken as serious or even a measure stick for future contributions. It definitely is not, never was and never will be, a measure of quality. It would be highly naive to think differently.

First anf foremost you should post pages and photos because you like to contribute and share your experience. Many people will look at them and some will find it useful. Even if one person finds it useful for planning a trip or to re-live your adventure, or for for any other reason, than it was worth posting it, regardless - and I mean regardless - of votes.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback