What peak is this?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Day Hiker wrote:Reno is actually just a bit farther west than Santa Barbara.

That's even more impressive!

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:Nice programming! I can only program stupid tax programs at the moment, nothing cool. Is it easy to translate the terrain information into Excel?

I'm actually using Visual Basic for Applications, which is part of Microsoft Excel. The worksheets in Excel are used only to store parameters for different projections and other information like that. The actual Excel interface is not used at all for the user input and image generation. My code reads elevation raster data files that I downloaded from USGS. Then it processes the data and writes the image file.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:24 am

Luciano136 wrote:

You win... :wink:

Try that in a bar..... "shit every body knows Reno is EAST of us dummby"

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:30 am

Guyzo wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:

You win... :wink:

Try that in a bar..... "shit every body knows Reno is EAST of us dummby"

Yep, I think you are right. I didn't cheat but have to admit I had to think about it.

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:40 am

I just asked my wife to hustle that line!

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:39 am

If you start in Jacksonville, Florida (part of North America and near the Atlantic Ocean), and you travel due south, what is the NEXT continent you reach?

lasvegaswraith

by lasvegaswraith » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Another good start a fight bar bet... ask how many West coast NFL football teams there are...

(don't forget Tampa Bay!!111)

DMT

Is Tampa still considered an NFL team??? I thought the dropped to the ACC and were going to be replaced by the Hurricanes.

lasvegaswraith

by lasvegaswraith » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:00 pm

ksolem wrote:
By the way, my "fancy software" is just Microsoft Excel, and I did all the math and wrote all the Visual Basic code for this myself. I spent a lot of time but no money.

I see stuff like this and understand why I'm in construction..... :D

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Day Hiker wrote:If you start in Jacksonville, Florida (part of North America and near the Atlantic Ocean), and you travel due south, what is the NEXT continent you reach?

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Oh... prolly Antarctica? ( you did say next eh?)

Yes, Antarctica. You would go over Florida, Cuba, and western Panama before reaching the Pacific Ocean. Then you would completely miss the South American continent, because all of it is farther east than Jacksonville, FL.

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

Way cool thread

by SpazzyMcgee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Have you guys seen this website? It is very eurocentric but has a few panoramas from the West.

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/

Here is the view south from Whitney:

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/pano ... TNEY-S.gif

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:Wow, nice man :shock: . I hope you work in this field, if not, you should seriously think about it :)

Actually, I'm one of Nevada's 20%-or-so unemployed. I suppose Vegas may be the wrong place to live for someone who wants to find a job that actually uses one's intelligence.

I want to live here, so I'll settle for something less. But it has to be steady and permanent -- the kind of thing one needs to make monthly house payments and raise a DayHikerJr. Part time is completely fine; it just has to be stable.

Are you saying that pole-dancing doesn't require brains?

Seriously, have you considered crossing over to a slightly different engineering job? I wasn't totally joking about the stimulus money. There are all these hypothetical big engineering projects (solar arrays, wind farms, train routes, stealing water from north NV) that require something beyond the normal GIS trainee.
Clark County has one of the best GIS-oriented websites I've seen, but it still has annoying limitations. I'd like to see their property links merged with google earth.

Previous

Return to California