What's your next climb? And why?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:17 pm

ShortTimer wrote:I should get dragged up this little thing the first week of August. It's great having a younger and ambitious partner!

You found a rope gun for Bachar-Yerian? You must have done something right in your prior life. Better hope he doesn't fall on you.

Diggler

by Diggler » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:03 pm

fatdad wrote:
ShortTimer wrote:I should get dragged up this little thing the first week of August. It's great having a younger and ambitious partner!

You found a rope gun for Bachar-Yerian? You must have done something right in your prior life. Better hope he doesn't fall on you.

Post a TR if you guys make it back all right!

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:26 pm

fatdad wrote:

This will actually be my third partner that has been capable of leading that thing. I have indeed be fortunate in my climbing career to climb with so many great climbers. It's only bad timing that I have not had the good fortune to have been dragged up this thing before.

And there is no way in hell either one of us is falling on this thing!

fatdad

by fatdad » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:47 am

I was a young punk hanging out in Camp 4 when Wolfgang Gullich tried and failed to repeat B-Y and Thierry Renault took a 50-footer and busted his leg. Given that Wolfgang had repeated Grand Illusion (5.13c) that same summer but had to back off B-Y, the scope of the route's difficulty seemed really clear.

Good luck and have fun!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:11 am

Shorty definitely will get that thang done... I will bet 10.00 on it!

Don't let me down Jan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noondueler

by Noondueler » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:59 am

My modest goal is to be able to scramble a 12 or 13er in the Sierra this year. For some reason, regardless of fitness, the last 2 years I've struggled down sick as a dog even from 10-11,000' the first day from sea level. By the 2 or 3rd day I'm better but kinda afraid to be miles out at altitude and start getting sick and hafta drag myself back feeling like shit. But with 3 or 4 days acclimation I should be good to go.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:48 pm

My next climb is up the stairs to get another beer.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:42 am

East Butt on Whitney in September. Not a tough climb but I bailed on it years ago due to a very slow group ahead we could not get around. We dropped down and completed the East Face but I want to complete the Butt. Scott

Diggler

by Diggler » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Noondueler wrote:My modest goal is to be able to scramble a 12 or 13er in the Sierra this year. For some reason, regardless of fitness, the last 2 years I've struggled down sick as a dog even from 10-11,000' the first day from sea level. By the 2 or 3rd day I'm better but kinda afraid to be miles out at altitude and start getting sick and hafta drag myself back feeling like shit. But with 3 or 4 days acclimation I should be good to go.

Check out the Sierra Challenge! 2nd weekend looks fun.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:04 am

fatdad wrote:

Fall on you (fall), or fall on you (on your head)? :wink:

Snackem

by Snackem » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:35 pm

My next trip will be to climb Mt Hood in Oregon. We'll be going up the standard route. I know it is not a tough one but after completing Adams last year I decided to do a climb or two a year and try to get all the Cascades. Next summer will be Shasta and maybe Whitney if I can get the time to tackle them both in one trip.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:12 pm

The Chief wrote:Rob...

This "Incredible Personal Energy Power Tool" I speak of has absolutely NOTHING to do with predicting the future.

Has all to do ABOUT this....
rhyang wrote:This was me three years ago -

This is me today -

I'm almost 44 years old and can legally park in disabled zones. What exactly is your excuse again ??

:wink:

Ya now know what I mean, Vern!!!

Three years ago Rob! Bloody hell, time does fly doesn't it. You've done superbly.

As for my next "climb". Probably walk up Snowdon in Wales, mid September when it's getting cooler and all the crowds have gone. Then hope for a great winter like last year and get stuck into my real walking season for the mountains: Snowdonia in winter!

Before then I just keep plodding up and down the very short but steep slopes in my local woods. I'm actually on schedule for doing 10,000m of ascent there just in the month of July!, (Just under 33,000 feet). Despite a couple of bad patches with this lousy bug no doctor can find. I am actually wearing a new track on one of the slopes I use, I've been up and down it so often!

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:Three years ago Rob! Bloody hell, time does fly doesn't it. You've done superbly.

As for my next "climb". Probably walk up Snowdon in Wales, mid September when it's getting cooler and all the crowds have gone. Then hope for a great winter like last year and get stuck into my real walking season for the mountains: Snowdonia in winter!

Before then I just keep plodding up and down the very short but steep slopes in my local woods. I'm actually on schedule for doing 10,000m of ascent there just in the month of July!, (Just under 33,000 feet). Despite a couple of bad patches with this lousy bug no doctor can find. I am actually wearing a new track on one of the slopes I use, I've been up and down it so often!

Nice work Bryan :) And thanks for converting those numbers for us backwards Yanks :lol:

Lisa, are you reading this ? That's higher than Mt. Everest, in case anyone doesn't know.

ShortTimer

by ShortTimer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:15 am

Mission Accomplished!!!

It was quite a bit harder and more sustained than I expected, that's for sure!

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Nice work !! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander