Whitney bugs?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
NW

Whitney bugs?

by NW » Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Just wondering how bad the bugs are around Whitney in July? We'll be sleeping in a light weight tarp shelter so if there are bugs and they want in then it's not going to be that difficult for them.

Princess Buttercup

Re: Whitney bugs?

by Princess Buttercup » Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Going to be plenty of water around, so definitely the little blood suckers will be out. Worst I've seen on the main trail is down just below Lone Pine Lake, then through Bighorn Park. They tend to thin out above that a bit (above tree line but still plenty of water). DEET is your friend.

As for the MR, (don't know which route you intend on taking) but Lower Boy Scout and Clyde Meadow can be pretty buggy.

NW

by NW » Tue May 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Haha good to know. I will be sure to bring good quantities of bug spray then. Is it mostly just mosquitoes and black flies or are midges thriving there as well. Those stupid things come out in force around here.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue May 03, 2011 3:08 pm

UBSL and ICEBERG can and have been known to be a torture war zone as well.

My weapon on choice that sefinitely kicks ass for up to 10 hours...

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 pm

No-see-ums are pretty prevalent, especially at the Portal Store while attempting to enjoy a Moose burger and beer. :shock: :evil:

Return to California