Why not call it 'Alpine-style'?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
kheegster

Why not call it 'Alpine-style'?

by kheegster » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:44 am

I'm rather tired of the confusion between 'alpine' climbing which is essentially a synonym for mountaineering, and 'alpine-style' climbing.

Why not just capitalize it into 'Alpine-style' climbing, which would make it clear that it's a climbing style derived from the Alps?

kheegster

by kheegster » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:20 am

1000Pks wrote:To clear up some confusion, and that I hail from the 20th Century, my understanding was that "alpine style" climbing is a term as opposed to Himalayan "expedition style" climbing. I have always taken it to mean fast and light, as opposed to siege tactics. To say, leaving out normally essential items to be able to complete a route or peak climb in speedy ascents, as opposed to bringing along everything including the campstove (said here figuratively) for safety and comfort.

Then, that's my gist of the literature referring mainly to the Sierra and a Yosemite big wall, say.

Well, my understanding was that Alpine-style was first brought to the big ranges by Messner and others who wanted to use the single-push tactics common in the Alps, hence the name.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Alpine style should be a way of life!

blazin

by blazin » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:58 pm

If I read Kheegster post correctly, his concern is not with the definition of "alpine-style" but rather with the ambiguity of the phrase "alpine climbing."

If someone asks you what sort of climbing you do, possible choices are:

- rock (trad, sport, aid, boulder, etc.)
- ice
- snow/glacier

But how do you describe the sort of "all mountain" climbing that requires each of those three disciplines? "Mountaineering" comes to mind, but so does "alpinism." Does "alpinism" only describe climbing mountains alpine-style? Does it only pertain to climbing in the Alps? Or does it include a broader range (in terms of style, technique, and geography) of mountain climbing activities?

Perhaps it's best to simply stick with the term "mountaineering," as that avoids the sort of confusion I believe the OP to be referring to. But to me "mountaineering" increasingly (for reasons I can't put my finger on) implies snow slogs like Aconcagua or the West Buttress of Denali while "alpinism" more closely invokes routes like, say, the Cassin Ridge on Denali.

This might just be a continuation of the "hiking vs. climbing" semantics debate. And while it matters more to get out there and do your thing, and less what you call it, I find it enjoyable, if not entirely useful, to strive for precision in terms.

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Isn't it all just hiking anyways?

kheegster

by kheegster » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 pm

I wasn't referring to the definition of the style, but rather using 'Alpine-style' with a capitalized 'A' would help differentiate it from the general use of 'alpine' as an adjective referring to mountains.

Yes, I'm bored.

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:21 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Alpine style should be a way of life!

Isn't it??

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:50 pm

I only alpine summitpost

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Is it still Alpine Style if the team calls for a chopper rescue?

Huh?

HUH???!!!!!

DMT

Depends...Is the phone call to mom and chopper ride before they summit or after? Bragging rights are riding on it. 8)

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Doggie style 8)

Gak Icenberg

by Gak Icenberg » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:37 pm

TheOrglingLlama wrote:Doggie style 8)
....thats where he "begs for it" and she "rolls over and plays dead" :shock:

kayakerSS

by kayakerSS » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:51 pm

This may be the best thread I've ever read, ever. I love SP!

stormflap

jonny copp

by stormflap » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:17 am

i dont know much about jonny copp but the alpine style footage ive seen with him is so imressive and definitely sparked my interest in alpine style climbing. he died in an avalanche in may 2009 on mount edgar in china.. these videos are awesome, hope they inspire

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

http://www.coppworks.com/

kheegster

by kheegster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:43 am

megla wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:Revel in the confusion. Celebrate it! Introduce some of your own.

Its climbing afterall, its not supposed to make sense.

DMT

Let's ask Steve.

Patagucci FTW!

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander