Wildlife Photos on SP

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Matt Lemke

Wildlife Photos on SP

by Matt Lemke » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:45 pm

So I would just like to bring this to attention to other members on the site. This post is spurred by the current POW..sorry Gimp

I firmly believe that close up photos of wildlife don't really add any real value to the site considering this is a climbing and hiking site designed to provide beta for mountains, routes, trails etc.
Therefore a close up photo of an animal has no value. What do others think on this? I personally would urge other members to refrain from submitting these kinds of photos to the site and also refrain from voting on them because they definitely don't belong on the front page.

Now a mountain scene with wildlife shown in the distance are ok but it's the close up shots that really bend me the wrong way. Feedback is welcome on this subject but I have been quiet too long now. If you post a wildlife photo, I will vote a 1 or 2 on it.

Flame on

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Wildlife Photos on SP

by Scott » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:04 pm

What do others think on this?

Here is my opinion:

If the wildlife photo was taken on a climb, I have no issue with it and in fact wouldn't try and discourage it (if it is within reason). Since wildlife is actually one of the primary attractions of climbing mountains in some areas, I think they belong.

For example, on many of the jungle mountains in Southeast Asia, for example, the primary reason to climb the mountains is to see the plants and wildlife. The forest is so thick that there are not any views. You climb the mountains to see and experience the life there and they are still glorious climbs indeed.

Everyone has their own reasons for climbing a mountain and sometimes seeing the wildlife is one of them. To me, they are part of the experience of the climb and part of the climb itself. One of the main reasons I wish to climb mountains in places like the Brooks Range of Alaska, the mountains of Borneo, or on the volcanoes of Central America, is to see the wildlife.

Case in point:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountains-jun ... oes/691015

No one climbs those mountains for the summit views, which are mostly non-existent. You climb the mountains to see the plants and forest life. If you didn't post photos of trees and wildlife, what else is there on a mountain where you can't see more than a few hundred feet at best? I don't think climbing a mountain for the sake of seeing life is somehow less superior than going for the views; and jungle mountains, et al, are often every bit as challenging as the glaciated summits.

The owners of the website wanted there to be wildlife photos and added as a feature on photo type:

wildlife.JPG
wildlife.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 6348 times

The originators of the site (Josh and Ryle) have stated that they wanted there to be wildlife photos and encouraged them. Of course you have to be reasonable as to the amount and quality of such photos.

On the other hand, photos of flowers, birds, or whatever were taken in someone's yard, garden, zoo, etc., then they don't belong.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Alpinist, Bob Sihler, boyblue, MarkDidier, selinunte01, splattski, Stu Brandel, WebTraveler

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:08 am

I like the wildlife pictures.

What's next? Saying pictures of people don't belong? Summitpost is different things to different people. I just tune out the stuff I'm not interested in rather than trying to forbid it from being posted.

The following user would like to thank ZeeJay for this post
Afzal, rgg, selinunte01, Stu Brandel, WebTraveler

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 am

Sorry, Matt, but despite my general agreement with you about the site's purpose and my shared frustration by its drift from that, I agree with Scott completely, and for wildflower and plant pictures as well. If it's from a climb or in the mountains, it belongs. Otherwise, unless there's a very compelling reason for it, which is not meant as adding to the cats album, it's off-topic garbage and should be downvoted or deleted.

To me, it's a bigger deal that popular members can post poor-quality wildlife photos and get POTD (not referring to Gimpilator's picture). But that leads to a whole other issue that's beaten to death again and again, like the zombie that keeps getting back up.

Here's one of my own that I think violates your idea but fits Scott's interpretation-- it is not in the mountains and was taken on a river but was from a day of mixed climbing and kayaking when I ran a river and stopped for short climbs at various crags along the way, and it's part of a trip report, not just posted for show:

"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Afzal, MarkDidier, WebTraveler

Norman

by Norman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:34 pm

I enjoy the wildlife photos. I think animals, flowers, people and more all make up the mountaineering experience.

The following user would like to thank Norman for this post
Afzal

selinunte01

by selinunte01 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Matt,
there are not only wildlife photos on SP!
I wrote a whole article about an alpine plant (oh my) and it was featured on the SP front page.
Case of downvoting? End of irony!
If you ever come across that fragile and astonishing beauty I hope you will stop and look and maybe feel happy about its existence. That, too, is, like mountain wildlife, mountaineering and consequently belongs to this community.

The following user would like to thank selinunte01 for this post
Afzal

no avatar
WebTraveler

by WebTraveler » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:43 am

My first time for commenting here, so hoping I am doing it correctly. I am an older lady who is housebound, after having spent years living in National Parks because my husband worked for the NPS. The wildlife and plants and trees and birds - any living thing, is what makes up the mountains and canyons and waterways. You cannot dismiss all this, and call the great outdoors just a mountain to climb. I am an avid reader of the articles on this site and love seeing whatever photo the writer chooses to submit. That is part of the whole experience. I have been able to see things and learn things I never would have known because I will never get there. Do not deny us the opportunity to see and learn all that nature has to offer, just because you, Mr Lemke, want photos to be taken of, well, what? exactly? The view? Maybe you just didn't think it through, that when you climb a mountain, you are actually invading the home of all the life that lives there, be it plant or animal. They have no choice to your being there, so the least you can do is appreciate their presence, Thank them by taking pictures of them to show them off, and post them here for the rest of us to enjoy! Thank you.

The following user would like to thank WebTraveler for this post
Afzal, Bob Burd, rgg

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Time to reach for the bottle, Matt. :wink:
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-06-28 at 10.06.35 AM.png
Screenshot 2014-06-28 at 10.06.35 AM.png (125.67 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Afzal

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Time to reach for the bottle, Matt. :wink:

LMAO! I couldn't help but laugh at the irony in the timing of Matt's post. If I'm correct I believe yesterday's POTD was of a marmot. I guess if you want POTD you need to post wildlife photos :lol:

The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
Afzal

RaymondShevsky

by RaymondShevsky » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:10 pm

Seeing a magnificent wild animal in its natural habitat is one of the great blessings of the mountain experience. I recently saw elk for the first time while scaling a new peak: truly the icing on the cake! I've always loved the wildlife photos on SP: keep 'em coming, folks!

The following user would like to thank RaymondShevsky for this post
Afzal

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:14 am

Thanks everyone for all the replies...for anyone saying I am "dismissing" wildlife from the outdoors experience, I am not saying that. I am purely saying those type of photos do not provide any real beneficial content to this particular site (although Scott has good points, however a photo of an exotic animal still doesn't help anyone either get to, or hike/climb up any peak in any exotic jungle whether there are views or not).

I won't be convinced...I can accept everyone else's opinions though.

@Bob, the level of my current anger is so large the universe just shifted lol

Wasatch Summits

by Wasatch Summits » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:19 am

Matt I can understand where you are coming from. I think though that in some locations, the wildlife will eat you... Lions, Tigers and bears oh my. People who are in the terrain frequented by this type of wildlife need some type of forewarning. Those who have photos of predators we might encounter while in their peak or route page should surely post them and add them to the page.

As far as recreational pictures of birds and goats, I am very much guilty of posting these sorts of photos. Like others have said here they are sharing their experiences on the mountain with these animals which a lot of us can relate to. It often adds to the experience. There are some folks I know who could care less about reaching a peak, though if they know they may have a chance at seeing some wildlife they love enroute, they will do it. Better than staying at home watching NOVA or the Discovery Channel about such things. If I post a photo of a bird, goat, or some other animal that will help someone get off the couch, the better.

For the record, I was almost ram charged by this one back in 2010... fun times.

The following user would like to thank Wasatch Summits for this post
Afzal

colinr

by colinr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:37 am

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 am

You can always count on me to bring things down just a notch or two....

I like this wildlife photo...

of flowers.....

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Afzal

Next

Return to Site Feedback