WINTER ASCENT OF GANNETT

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
zachary_dc

WINTER ASCENT OF GANNETT

by zachary_dc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Has anyone ever attempted an ascent of Gannett in the winter months such as January-March? I read that January is the month of coldest average temperatures in the Wind Rivers...makes perfect sense. If so I would love to hear of your experiences. THANK YOU!

zachary_dc

Re: WINTER ASCENT OF GANNETT

by zachary_dc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:05 pm

I was thinking of an attempt in Jan or Feb. Preferably January. I am just curious if anyone has any experience in the range during that time of year.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:38 pm

You might try posting this question in the Rockies forum.
Best o' luck.

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:28 pm

Rich Henke and George Lowe skied the range in the 90s. They did a huge winter tour from one end of the range to the other. I don't remember anymore if they got up Gannett, but at the time, that trip was really something. And yes, that George Lowe. Rich is a friend of mine.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Marauders tried to climb it in May as a ski-in with a pulk. Not quite winter, but they had winter conditions. It looks like a great outing!

See his trip report.

zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:20 am

asmrz wrote:Rich Henke and George Lowe skied the range in the 90s. They did a huge winter tour from one end of the range to the other. I don't remember anymore if they got up Gannett, but at the time, that trip was really something. And yes, that George Lowe. Rich is a friend of mine.

Thanks for the info! I will have to see if I can find any information on their trip.

PellucidWombat wrote:Marauders tried to climb it in May as a ski-in with a pulk. Not quite winter, but they had winter conditions. It looks like a great outing!

See his trip report.

Yeah I saw that report!...looks pretty awesome, and no mosquitoes!

dayinthelife

by dayinthelife » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Gannett has seen numerous winter ascents over the years, including solos and various team efforts. Included are efforts from both sides of the range. Have a good trip.

Drifter

by Drifter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:05 pm

If you are seriously considering a January ascent of Gannet and you need a partner let me know. I'm in Minneapolis and I just bought a new pair of Scarpas that are dying for the snow to fall.

Nick

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 pm

I've always been intersted in a winter ascent of Gannet, but I would guess that late February to mid or late March would be a much better time to do it than in January (more daylight and better snow conditions).

zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:11 pm

Scott wrote:I've always been intersted in a winter ascent of Gannet, but I would guess that late February to mid or late March would be a much better time to do it than in January (more daylight and better snow conditions).

Yeah, you are right. I guess what I would want to get out of it most is the snow experience (ie Ski approach, different feel, and winter like conditions) like Marauders trip.

PellucidWombat wrote:Marauders tried to climb it in May as a ski-in with a pulk. Not quite winter, but they had winter conditions. It looks like a great outing!

See his trip report.

Drifter wrote:If you are seriously considering a January ascent of Gannet and you need a partner let me know. I'm in Minneapolis and I just bought a new pair of Scarpas that are dying for the snow to fall.

Nick

Yeah Nick I am definitely looking for someone or a group of someones to go with. It is just an idea right now, but I would like to try to make it happen. Do you have any ideas? Is Jan the best month for you or would Feb or March work better?

Thanks for all of the input!

Drifter

by Drifter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:23 pm

I think I could make any of those months work. January is the slowest time at my work, so it is easy to sneak out for a while. Although, the conditions need to be right. I won't force a January trip if the conditions are not ideal. I have always wanted to climb Gannet. I will try a few of my contacts that are near that area and see if they know anyone who has first hand knowledge of a winter ascent.

Do you do any climbing around Duluth? Indoors, rock, ice, etc.? All of my partners have lost interest in climbing the last couple years and I am in a dry spell. I usually go up to Duluth a few times a year.

Tonka

by Tonka » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:02 pm

Drifter. Just saw you live in Mound, MN. That's funny...Mound, as in MN doesn't even have hills let alone mountains. Mound that's funny :wink:

Drifter

by Drifter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Tonka wrote:Drifter. Just saw you live in Mound, MN. That's funny...Mound, as in MN doesn't even have hills let alone mountains. Mound that's funny :wink:

Tonka, I see you're in Spring Park, so you must be familiar with Mound's spectactular climbing opportunities. I am fortunate enough to live atop one of it's many peaks. Each day I trek down and back up the 12' elevation gain between my house and my garage. For a real challenge you can try the SE approach to Dailey's Pub. It's a 3rd class scramble up about 10 stairs!

Good to know someone else has a sense of humor about our majestic Minnesota ranges.

Tonka

by Tonka » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:57 pm

Drifter wrote:
Tonka wrote:Drifter. Just saw you live in Mound, MN. That's funny...Mound, as in MN doesn't even have hills let alone mountains. Mound that's funny :wink:

Tonka, I see you're in Spring Park, so you must be familiar with Mound's spectactular climbing opportunities. I am fortunate enough to live atop one of it's many peaks. Each day I trek down and back up the 12' elevation gain between my house and my garage. For a real challenge you can try the SE approach to Dailey's Pub. It's a 3rd class scramble up about 10 stairs!

Good to know someone else has a sense of humor about our majestic Minnesota ranges.

Yea. I'm getting my ten essentials ready for the long trek to Fletchers to watch the Vikes game. I'l probably set up camp around Rockvams on the way home.

Ok. I'm done highjacking the thread :)

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:00 pm

Dave Johnston, one of the climbers in the Minus 148 Degrees book is the only person to climb the 50 state highpoints in the winter. (between Dec 21 and March 21) The next closest person has 44 winter climbs. Dave obviously climbed Gannett Peak, Mount Rainier, and Mount Hood as well as Denali in the winter.

Next

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)