Winter camping in Crawford Notch, Nh

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
MunjoyMegs

Winter camping in Crawford Notch, Nh

by MunjoyMegs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi all,

New to summit post, but have a question for the Nh folks. I'm headed out to the Whites this weekend to do some hiking and camping. Looking to base camp off 302 around Crawford Notch and then do some day hikes around the area. The state park campgrounds seem to be closed as do the WMNF sites in the area. Anyone have any ideas of a place to park and set up a tent for a couple of nights in the area? I don't particularly care if it is a state park, WMNF, or privately run. Just looking for a place to pitch a tent without having to hike in to it.

Thanks,

Megs

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Beware that Crawford can be BRUTAL as all the wind coming down the Presidentials gets funneled through that narrow pass.

I don't know how strictly legit it is, but if you park at the ADK trailhead and go across the river I'm sure no one would bother you. It wouldn't take much to get off the path.

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Some of the WMNF sites are open year-round. Follow links from here:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... chapter_19

Camping inside Crawford Notch state park is NOT allowed. See backcountry camping rules link on same page linked above. The real problem is parking. Most parking lots are within camping-exclusion zones.

MunjoyMegs

by MunjoyMegs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

I saw there are a few WMNF campgrounds open in either Gorham or on the Kanc. May just have to change plans and do the Hancocks, and Tripyramids instead. I was just hoping to find something that would allow for me to be near the trail heads for Jackson, Tom/Field/Willey, and Hale.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)