Winter Mountaineering in the Tatras

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Rapparee

Winter Mountaineering in the Tatras

by Rapparee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Howya lads,

Just a query for my illustrious brethren of the mountains. Since I've a very rambling train of thought, please be gracious and stay with me.

Our climbing club in my college are currently researching an alternative for our winter break mountaineering trip. Being Irish, we traditionally grab the ferry over to Scotland and climb in the western Highlands for a couple of weeks, mostly grade I-IV Scottish Winter routes. It's great craic but we've been shafted the last couple of years with terrible, inclement Atlantic weather meaning we arrive in Scotland with conditions more suitable for kayaking than winter climbing. The ice is more like sleet and the snow is absolute slush.

So a few of us have split up to do some sleuthing, my idea being the Tatras 'twixt Poland and Slovakia. Most of the lads I know there are skiers or fair-weather climbers so I was wondering if anyone who's been there climbing or any other European climbers might have some light or advice to shed on the matter, I would be most grateful for anything you can send my way.

Peace out.

no avatar
okx

Re: Winter Mountaineering in the Tatras

by okx » Sat May 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi,
I'm only beginner, but already was there last and this winter and will go next :-)
For me, high Tatras in winter is perfect place. You can find anything almost in one place, from UIAA II to UIAA VI or even VII.
I would recommend to stay in "Chata pri Zelenom Plese". It's quite cheep and you have a lot of choices for 1 or 2 day climbs around that place. It's about ~30-60min of walk to most of routes around.

Return to Europe