Your Opinion wanted: A good hotel in Mexico City?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
sloggmeister

Your Opinion wanted: A good hotel in Mexico City?

by sloggmeister » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:53 am

I'm flying into Mexico City to climb the volcanos, and need some travel tips. Which area of the city would be best to stay in? Do you know of a good hotel?
What experiences have you had?

robot one

by robot one » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:25 am

Hostal Moneda is a great option in Mexico city. Safe, inexpensive, close to airport( they have a pick up service) and the bus stations, breakfast and dinner included. Near the Zocalo and Palacio national(diego rivera murals) and other cool stuff. They have a web site and they speak english too. Also they have a couple of private rooms. Check 'em out.

jomal

by jomal » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:22 am

I'd recommend staying in Puebla. Nicer town, a little higher elevation I believe, and you're just a step closer to Pico. You can catch a bus directly from the airport to Puebla, and there are plenty of decent hotels near el centro. We just asked some locals.

sloggmeister

by sloggmeister » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:10 am

bird wrote:We stayed at the Colonial Hotel (not colonial Hostel). In the old city near the ruins and touristy stuff. Relatively cheap and decent. About 45 min from airport if I remember correctly.

I Googled it, and couldn't find this Colonial Hotel online. Do you have a link for it? Any contact info?

sloggmeister

by sloggmeister » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:30 pm

pearson wrote:
jomal wrote:I'd recommend staying in Puebla. Nicer town, a little higher elevation I believe, and you're just a step closer to Pico. You can catch a bus directly from the airport to Puebla, and there are plenty of decent hotels near el centro. We just asked some locals.

If you go to Puebla you want to take the bus to Quatro Poniente, not the other (main) terminal. Quatro Poniente is close to "downtown".

I think that Puebla is out of the way. Our first climb is going to be Nevado de Toluca.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean