Your Preferred Method of Carrying your dSLR - On the Trail

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
jstluise

Your Preferred Method of Carrying your dSLR - On the Trail

by jstluise » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:57 am

Hi all,

I just picked up my first dSLR (Nikon D90) and I am excited to start learning more about photography and to start taking it on hikes/climbs. However, I still haven't made up my mind on a bag that will allow me to carry it in the field. For now, I will just be taking it on hikes and backpacking trips...once I get a feel for carrying it and the best way of carrying it, I'd like to take it on some climbs too.

For the photographers out there, I'd like to hear your experience with taking your SLR on trips with you. I'd like to have easy access to the camera. When I go out, I'll probably only be taking a standard zoom lens (right now I have a Nikon 18-105mm, might be replacing with a 18-200mm)...I also have a 70-300mm zoom lens.

I've looked around online, and I have been impressed with the M-Rock bags, particularly the 651 - Yellowstone holster: http://www.m-rock.com/yellowstone-camera-holster-bag.html
This bag will hold my D90 and my 18-105mm (it will also hold the D90 w/ 18-200, if I end up swapping). It won't fit the 70-300mm (the Sierra 652 holster bag will make it possible to use both lenses, which may be a better choice). The M-Rock holster bags look really rugged and offer a lot of different carrying configurations. I haven't seen any other bag this versatile. With the holster bag, I can either strap in on the outside somewhere, or toss it in my pack. In addition to a holster bag, a lens bag might be good to add. Then I can carry both lenses on hikes, and keep the one I'm not using in my pack.

Also, I am going to pick up a shoulder bag to hold all my gear (D90 and two lenses). This will be a general purpose bag, which may or may not see the trail. Something comparable to the 661 - Glacier Bay bag: http://www.m-rock.com/glacier-digital-camera-bag.html.

Any suggestions (on bags, or how you carry your camera) would be great!

lcarreau

Re: Your Preferred Method of Carrying your dSLR - On the Tra

by lcarreau » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 am

I use a shoulder bag quite often on trails. Movement is never restricted, even if you're wearing a
backpack. Besides, it keeps your hands free for other things..

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

radson

by radson » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:55 am

Im still alternating between two different systems

http://cottoncarrier.com/
http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/index.html

This is me on Mt Cook with the cotton carrier.

Hanging out on Cook ridge by radson1, on Flickr

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:16 pm

I wrap mine in whatever extra clothing is in my pack, along with 3-4 extra lenses. I don't mind stopping for the shot...it pays the mortgage.

Carbo

by Carbo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:39 pm

I use a camera bag w D-rings from Tamron and a chest harness from Lowe or clip it t othe shoulder straps via D-rings. Thereby always accessible

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Dropnose bag (just like your "holster bag") on a shoulder strap. Giant telephoto lens in separate case over the other shoulder (only when going to a known wildlife-rich area, it's too heavy for most hikes).
Camera (in bag) sometimes goes into the backpack in heavy rain or on very rough terrain where I need maximum agility. If I anticipate either condition, I'll also bring a pocket camera.

I don't see much value in a square case if you've only got one extra lens. Depending how quickly you want to be able to change lenses, you can carry the extra lens in a separate case, in your pack, or in a jacket pocket if it's not too huge. The outside pocket on your holster bag will easily hold all your spare batteries etc etc. (I also carry a garbage bag to wrap outside the whole bag in torrential rain or risky river crossings.) But that 18-200 is a heck of a big range already, I bet you won't change lenses too often. (Maybe a very wide-angle or super macro, but those are small lenses.)
Last edited by nartreb on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winemanvan

by winemanvan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 pm

I use this big lumbar pack from REI: http://www.rei.com/product/778452. I'm able to fit a
Nikon D-40x and two lenses plus 6 extra batteries, 2 filters, 6 SD cards, and a small video cam. I keep everything in this one bag and wear it on my belly while I'm hiking with my backpack on. It gives you easy access to everything. While climbing in tricky stuff, I shift it to my back, just like a fanny pack. It is smart to keep your camera gear simple and in one bag, so you can just grab it and start shooting. This works well for me, and have used it in all types of conditions from swamps to alpine.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 pm

jstluise wrote:Hi all,

I just picked up my first dSLR (Nikon D90) and I am excited to start learning more about photography and to start taking it on hikes/climbs. However, I still haven't made up my mind on a bag that will allow me to carry it in the field. For now, I will just be taking it on hikes and backpacking trips...once I get a feel for carrying it and the best way of carrying it, I'd like to take it on some climbs too.

For the photographers out there, I'd like to hear your experience with taking your SLR on trips with you. I'd like to have easy access to the camera. When I go out, I'll probably only be taking a standard zoom lens (right now I have a Nikon 18-105mm, might be replacing with a 18-200mm)...I also have a 70-300mm zoom lens.

I've looked around online, and I have been impressed with the M-Rock bags, particularly the 651 - Yellowstone holster: http://www.m-rock.com/yellowstone-camera-holster-bag.html
This bag will hold my D90 and my 18-105mm (it will also hold the D90 w/ 18-200, if I end up swapping). It won't fit the 70-300mm (the Sierra 652 holster bag will make it possible to use both lenses, which may be a better choice). The M-Rock holster bags look really rugged and offer a lot of different carrying configurations. I haven't seen any other bag this versatile. With the holster bag, I can either strap in on the outside somewhere, or toss it in my pack. In addition to a holster bag, a lens bag might be good to add. Then I can carry both lenses on hikes, and keep the one I'm not using in my pack.

Also, I am going to pick up a shoulder bag to hold all my gear (D90 and two lenses). This will be a general purpose bag, which may or may not see the trail. Something comparable to the 661 - Glacier Bay bag: http://www.m-rock.com/glacier-digital-camera-bag.html.

Any suggestions (on bags, or how you carry your camera) would be great!

Please give an update and post some photos after you've used it. I currently can't afford the d 90 but hopefully with using craig's list to sell stuff, I will soon make the purchase. I've heard great thing about this camera and takes video as well! It is kinda' bulky and with additional lenses even more so but I think very well worth it.

radson

by radson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 am

Shane Rathbun wrote:
radson wrote:Im still alternating between two different systems

http://cottoncarrier.com/
http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/index.html

This is me on Mt Cook with the cotton carrier.

Hanging out on Cook ridge by radson1, on Flickr

What's over your camera lens in this photo?

My lens cap keeps falling off so I put a soft sunglasses cover (with simple drawcord) over the lens. For me it works quite well.

jstluise

by jstluise » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Great! Thanks guys for all the info and tips!

Here is what I went with:

-M-Rock Sierra 652 Holster Bag: http://www.m-rock.com/sierra-digital-slr-bags.html
-M-Rock Niagara 647 Lens Case: http://www.m-rock.com/niagara-large-camera-bag.html

The holster bag will hold my camera with either of my lenses I have now (18-105, 70-300). I can carry this with a shoulder strap, or where it as a chest bag on a chest harness. It comes with the straps to use it as a chest bag, but they look bulky...I will probably pick up a LowePro Chest Harness: http://products.lowepro.com/product/Top ... s,2054.htm but we'll see how the M-Rock straps work first.

The Lens case will hold any of my lenses. The case attaches to the side of the Holster bag (I don't know if I will use it this way), but for sure I can keep the lens case in my pack or on the side of my pack.

Adorama was having a sale on all M-Rock bags, so I got the bags for good price! Oh, and free shipping too! I also picked up:

-M-Rock Glacier Bay Shoulder Bag 661: http://www.m-rock.com/glacier-digital-camera-bag.html
This bag won't see the trail, but I wanted a bag to hold all my gear in one spot. Who knows, maybe I won't use this bag much, but for the price I don't mind picking it up. It will hold my camera, both lenses, and a flash...with batteries and small accessories.

-M-Rock Biscayne Camera Case 641: http://www.m-rock.com/biscayne-compact- ... cases.html This little guy is for the P&S I always carry. Either hook it on my hipbelt or to the side of the holster bag. I have a case for it right now, but I was on a roll with the M-Rock bags lol :D

nartreb, that was my idea with picking up the 18-200mm lens (instead of the 18-105mm)...seems like a very versitile lens, so I won't have to carry any other lens with me (well besides maybe a wide angle or macro like you said, which are small). And, its only 0.3" longer than the 18-105mm, so not much of a difference.

Marmaduke, I really like the D90 so far! I am glad I chose it over the D3000 or D5000. To me, well worth the extra $$$. I was considering the D3000 and D5000 (and the Canon T1i), but as soon as I picked up the D90 it just felt good! It is a little larger, but it is more comfortable for my hands. And, it just seems built better. Anyways, I also like the top LCD display. You can see all your setting much quicker than having to look at and navigate the larger LCD. After reading about the D90, a lot of people like it because all the settings are easily accessable, compared to D3000/D5000 having them buried in the menu. I guess that makes the entry level models more user friend for everyone. The D90 is a step above that.

As for the video, I like that it has the capability (its only 720p @ 24fps...no fullHD @ 30fps), but I bought the D90 because I wanted a camera. I saw on a lot of reviews people were complaining about the video (not just on the D90). If you want to take fullHD video, get a camcorder :)

Thanks guys for the help!

The following user would like to thank jstluise for this post
Marmaduke, peninsula

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm

jstluise wrote:...

I carry the D90 to most of my hikes and I love it. It's fairly robust and easy to handle. I usually carry a 18-270 Tamron lens, which of course has its weaknesses but I usually don't like to change lenses. I have not had any issue with this camera and lens for the past 2 years. If photography is the main purpose of the trip I carry the D700 with two or three Nikon lenses. But that is a completely different beast and weighs much more.

jstluise

by jstluise » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:00 am

I thought I should post an update...

So I originally went with the M-Rock products, but did not like them as much as I thought I would. I just wasn't impressed, especially with using the straps as a chest harness.

I went ahead and ordered the Lowepro Topload Zoom 50 AW as well as the Lowepro Chest Harness. Couldn't be happier! Fits my D90 w/ 18-105mm lens (with hood attached) perfectly. It doesn't fit my longer lens but the 18-105mm has fulfilled my needs when out on the trail (for now). I would probably get the longer Topload case if I wanted to use my other lens.

Had the chance to really put the setup to the test when I climbed Rainier a few days ago. I wore the camera the entire time and had no problems with maneuvering or watching my footing. Best of all, I had instant access to my camera for quick shooting.

Here are some shots I managed to get:

alpinedan

by alpinedan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm

I used to use a neoprene case that you could just flip off the lens cover. I since got a G12 and made life easier. Not as clean of photos as my 5dMII but still nice.

But I use it a whole lot more.

this is the cover I used to have

radson

by radson » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:47 am

On Denali last month I trialed a Clik chest pack. I sent this message to the guys at Clik:

This product was great in theory but unfortunately not so great in practice. Admittedly I bought this product for an expedition to Denali and it didn't quite make the grade.

The bottom left strap broke the day before my summit attempt. This meant the whole system ended up wonky on my chest and unusable. I ended up having to store the whole thing in my backpack.

I also didn't like the position of the buckles. The buckles ended up behind my armpits and it was a real hassle whern I had to open and close them. I would have preferred the buckles much closer to the camera case itself. With my body size, 6' and 190 lbs, I had to have the straps fully open. When mountaineering, I often need to change layers and the clik system made this much harder than I think is necessary.

On the upside when the straps are not broken and I dont have to open and close the buckles, the system is great. I have used the cottoncarrier holster system in the past but unfortunately I needed a system that protects my camera from ice, snow and moving over mixed terrain (ice/rock)

If the clik had stronger straps and buckles closer to the actual case, it would have been perfect.

Since sending them this mini-review, I have sent the case back to them and they have said they will get back to me.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:28 pm

jstluise

Your idea for using the Yellowstone holster is perfect. You've got to have the camera accessible or you won't shoot any photos. Take a look at my photo gallery.

For rock climbing, I carry a small point & shoot in a padded pouch that hangs on my harness.

For everything else, I carry an SLR or dSLR in a holster like the Yellowstone.

Here's an example of a photo I shot in the High Sierra because the camera was readily accessible. If I had to dig into my pack to get the camera, I would have missed this shot.

Next

Return to Gear