Zion Narrows in March

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:40 pm

1000Pks wrote:Does anyone know if there are many Zion peaks/HPs/viewpoints that can be safely enough climbed solo, class 3 or less, at least besides North Guardian Angel (class 4) and the like? Obscure trails would be great, too.

SarahThompson wrote:I highly recommend CP's book.

Starting on page 227, the peaks are listed by difficulty, starting with class-1.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:02 pm

Does anyone know if there are many Zion peaks/HPs/viewpoints that can be safely enough climbed solo, class 3 or less, at least besides North Guardian Angel (class 4) and the like?

Here are some (but not all; there are more):

Class 1

Deertrap Mountain
Cable Mountain

Class 2

Cougar Mountain (not sure about the summit block)
Crater Hill
Death Point
Pocket Mesa
Canaan Mountain (just outside park)

Class 3

West Northgate Peak
East Northgate Peak
Checkerboard Mesa
South Ariel Peak

Obscure trails would be great, too

Most trails in the Park (at least the man-made ones) are well known, so they wouldn't be obscure, but here's a breakdown of some (not all) of the trails.

Very Popular

Gateway to the Narrows Trail (2 miles round trip)
Middle Fork Taylor Creek (7 miles round trip)
La Verkin Creek Trail (22 miles round trip plus side trips)
Timber Creek Overlook (1 mile)
Hop Valley Trail (13.4 miles round trip, but connects with the La Verkin Creek Trail)
West Rim Trail (14 miles each way)
Angels Landing (5 miles round trip)
Emerald Pools (3 miles)
Observation Point from Zion Canyon (6.5 miles round trip)
East Rim Trail (18 miles each way)
Hidden Canyon (3 miles round trip on good trail, much farther with scrambling)
Watchman Trail (2 miles round trip)
Pa’rus Trail (3.5 miles round trip)
Canyon Overlook (1 mile)

Popular

Chinle Trail (16 miles round trip)
South Fork Taylor Creek (3.2 miles round trip)
North Fork Taylor Creek (6 miles round trip)
Observation Point from East Mesa (7 miles round trip)
Deertrap Mountain (16.4 miles round trip)
Cable Mountain (15.8 miles round trip)
Sand Bench Trail (3.5 miles round trip)
Wildcat Canyon Trail (6 miles each way)
Northgate Peaks Trail (4 miles round trip)

Obscure

Death Point Trail (4 miles round trip-not sure about current access).

There are many off trail routes that are obscure, but other than Death point, I can't think of any actual trails that would be considered to be obscure. Of course there are a lot of easy off trail routes that would be obscure, but the official trails in Zion are pretty well known.

Easy off Trail Hikes (easy class 2)

Huber Wash (1/2 to full day)
Coalpits Wash (2-4 days depending on route/extentions)
Scoggins Draw (1-3 days depending on route/extensions)
Camp Creek (not sure about current access) (1-2 days)
Lower Beartrap Canyon (2-3 days)
Elephant Arch (1 day)
Timber Creek Forks (1 day)
Barrier Falls from the bottom (2 days)
Subway from the bottom (1 full day)
Lower Echo canyon from the bottom (1/2 day)

More Challenging Off trail Hikes (Scrambling class 2-3 or swimming)

See also the class 1-3 summit list above. In addition:

Zion Narrows (1-2 days)
Deep Creek (3 days)
Parunuweap Canyon (3 days)
Mineral Gulch (2-3 days if continuing into Parunuweap)

Semi-technical Hikes (or or two short rappels/handlines-experience with basic rope skills required for at least some of the party):

Subway from the Top (1 full day)
Orderville Canyon from the top (1 full day)
Lower Kolob Creek (3 days)
Bridge Mountain Arch (1-2 days)

“Easy technical” Hikes (rappelling/rope work plus scrambling-experience required for all members)

Pine Creek (1/2 day)
Mystery canyon (1 full day)
Middle Echo Canyon (1/2 day)
Keyhole Canyon (1/4 day)

Once you get to moderate technical canyons and class 4 summits or more the list gets much, much longer, but I wouldn't solo those.
Last edited by Scott on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Scott wrote:
Does anyone know if there are many Zion peaks/HPs/viewpoints that can be safely enough climbed solo, class 3 or less, at least besides North Guardian Angel (class 4) and the like?

Class 2

Cougar Mountain (not sure about the summit block)

Yep, class 2.

Class 3

East Northgate Peak
South Ariel Peak

East Northgate can be done class 2 via a steep game trail near the eastern edge of the north face.

Finding the class 3 route on South Ariel can be challenging. It's much more likely you're gonna end up on gnarly and exposed class 4 slabs. Careful.

Pete, I know that you're pretty cautious going solo these days. I might recommend you shy away from even class 3 stuff in Zion. It tends to be horribly loose.

There are several really nice obscure trails in the park that -nobody- remembers. I'm talking about legitimate trails that have been left to nature. Some of my best adventures in Zion have utilized them on approaches.

...thanks for the plugs, Sarah and Mike!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:03 pm

There are several really nice obscure trails in the park that -nobody- remembers. I'm talking about legitimate trails that have been left to nature.

Do you know of the current access issues (after the snow melts) to Death Point by chance? It used to be an official NPS trail. By the time I got there (1991?), it was mostly abandoned. We were told by a rancher that we could hike it though, but the access road does cross some private land. I haven't been back since then and was wondering about currect access and if anyone goes out there anymore.

zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm

CP where does your book ship from? If I ordered it today would it be in Duluth, MN by 3/12?

Thanks guys for posting all of this valuable info. I cant wait to get on the road.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Scott wrote:
There are several really nice obscure trails in the park that -nobody- remembers. I'm talking about legitimate trails that have been left to nature.

Do you know of the current access issues (after the snow melts) to Death Point by chance? It used to be an official NPS trail. By the time I got there (1991?), it was mostly abandoned. We were told by a rancher that we could hike it though, but the access road does cross some private land. I haven't been back since then and was wondering about currect access and if anyone goes out there anymore.

I don't know of any current legal access to Death Point. Sure wish I did.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:14 pm

zachary_dc wrote:CP where does your book ship from? If I ordered it today would it be in Duluth, MN by 3/12?

Probably so, but I can't say for sure. If you order it from Tom Jones' website (canyoneeringusa.com), I imagine he could get a copy to you in time. It's also for sale at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale. Don't forget to dine at Oscar's.

Edit: Please understand that my book covers summit routes, not trail hikes to scenic viewpoints, etc. Also, it has been a VERY snowy season in Zion, and most of the stuff in my book will be out of shape while you're there.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't know of any current legal access to Death Point. Sure wish I did.

That's what I suspected, but I was hoping otherwise. The trail even used to be in the old NPS trail guides.

Death Point was quite possibly the best view in the park and is the only (former) official trail I know of or have been to that I would consider to be obscure (other than places like Lady Mountain which are now technical of course and maybe the back way into la Verkin Creek). One day you'll have to show me/tell me about those other ones you have done. I sure wish I had time to make it to Zion more often.
Last edited by Scott on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Sure thing, man. I'd be happy to share the info with you.

I dig that back door into La Verkin (assuming we're talking about the same "secret spot"). Nothing quite like wandering the wilderness to suddenly find an obscure Zion National Park trail sign in the middle of nowhere.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:55 pm

I mention this in the book:

The park says that "95% of Zion National Park is inaccessible" due to cliffs, canyons and the like. That single bit of information inspired the whole book. I'm currently working on a second volume.

zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 pm

cp0915 wrote: It's also for sale at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale. Don't forget to dine at Oscar's.

Excellent I will pick it up there.
cp0915 wrote: Also, it has been a VERY snowy season in Zion, and most of the stuff in my book will be out of shape while you're there.

Thats awesome. Are there any that you think might be open for topping out on? I understand that summit means higher elevation and therefor more snow, but maybe there is something you write about that might be opened up? Thanks again!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 am

1000Pks wrote:Loose rock on class 3? Can hardly imagine, compared to the Sierra and Rockies!

Now if I can ever get someone who doesn't mind planet saving with carpooling and climbing together, in the next few years that I can still do any of this!

There is a special creepiness to loose rock in Zion -- especially the "sugar" (loose sand) that often coats slopes after a rain. There are a lot of slopes that increase slope as you descend, to a point where a slip has really bad consequences.

Matthew Holliman

by Matthew Holliman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:16 am

zachary_dc wrote:
cp0915 wrote: It's also for sale at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale. Don't forget to dine at Oscar's.

Excellent I will pick it up there.
cp0915 wrote: Also, it has been a VERY snowy season in Zion, and most of the stuff in my book will be out of shape while you're there.

Thats awesome. Are there any that you think might be open for topping out on? I understand that summit means higher elevation and therefor more snow, but maybe there is something you write about that might be opened up? Thanks again!

My fiancee and I climbed Mt. Kinesava over President's Day Weekend. No snow on the ramp up Kinesava's East Face, but there was a good amount on the final summit pyramid--it was climbable without axes/crampons, but at least an ice axe would have been handy in places near the top.

And yes, CP's book is awesome.

zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:36 am

Matthew Holliman wrote:
My fiancee and I climbed Mt. Kinesava over President's Day Weekend. No snow on the ramp up Kinesava's East Face, but there was a good amount on the final summit pyramid--it was climbable without axes/crampons, but at least an ice axe would have been handy in places near the top.

I checked it out on SP and that looks exactly like something my group is wanting to do. It is a for sure. Thanks for info!

cp0915

by cp0915 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:11 pm

zachary_dc wrote:Are there any that you think might be open for topping out on? I understand that summit means higher elevation and therefor more snow, but maybe there is something you write about that might be opened up?

It's hard to say how conditions might change in the coming weeks, but I'll toss out a few possibilities:

-Kinesava (as Matthew said);
-Lady Mountain (a bit of 5th class);
-Angels Landing (might want/need crampons);
-Sneak Peak (might want crampons for approach; final bit to summit might be spicy);
-Checkerboard Mesa;
-East Mary (a short bit of 5th class);
-Crater Hill (the road in will be icy, so you might have to start walking from lower down);
-Coalpits Peak (will be in the next book; 5th class);
-The Little Altar (will be in the next book; class 3-4 and incredibly cool);
-I forget what I called it but there's a very minor peak just south of Kinesava that gave up surprisingly nice views. That'll be in for sure (it'll be in the next book);
-Cougar Mountain (expect snow, though it's relatively easy anyway);
-Moqui Peak (a bit of 5th class);
-Rosebud (should be in great shape; awesome views; will be in the next book);
-Observation Benchmark (better views than Ob. Point; I'd expect snow/ice on the approach);
-Deertrap Mtn. (probably some snow, but not particularly dangerous if you approach from the east entrance);
-Cable Mtn. (ditto above);

Prolly more.

PreviousNext

Return to Utah