Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.76853°N / 0.14724°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10614 ft / 3235 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cirque of VignemaleEast face

The Pic Central (3235m) is a main summit according with list of UIAA of peaks of 3000m of the Pyrenees, but it's the less important peak at South of Vignemale Massif. It's situated between two most important peaks, at East is the great ridge of Montferrat (3219m, P.D.inf) and at West is the easy ridge of Cerbillona (3247m, F). The climb is a very good combination both with Cerbillona, probably with the climb of Grand Vigenale (3298m) and even Clot de la Hount (3289m) if it's your first visit to Vignemale Massif. As well it's an interesting peak, both with Cerbillona to a new visit to glacier d'Ossoue after the climb of Grand Vignemale in the first visit (it's obliged of course!).

The col with the peak Cerbillona is called Col of Lady Lister because this woman was the first people to climb the massif across this point, exit of the famous coulouir of Moskowa.

Getting There

Access from the French side by road is from the East-West autoroute E80 (Bayonne to Toulouse) and the National road N21 via Lourdes and the D821 / D920 to Cauterets or the D921 to Gavarnie. There are airports at Pau and Toulouse.

Access from Spanish side by road from the N.W. or W. of the country: across Irun to cross to France, taking the road to Bayonne and the same French way.

Access from Spanish side in the centre of Pyrenees (near Huesca): the best option in the entry in French territory across Col du Portalet or Col du Somport. In winter many days this road is closed by the snow (or it requires the use of chains). D918 to Argelès-Gazost, D12 and D921 to Gavarnie.

Red Tape

No permits are required. If you want to sleep in the Refuge of Bayssellance is advisable the reserve by phone.

Camping

Refuge BayssellanceBayssellance

In the National Parks camping is normally not allowed, except in a place of more than 1h of walk of a refuge, but it's very difficult in the route from the North (Oulettes de Gaube) because it exist two refuges (Gaube and Bayssellance). The best option to camp is near Barrage d'Ossoue, in the South approach, with some places indicates near of the dam.

Refuge of Baysellance (2650m, 70 places)

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vignemale MassifMountains & Rocks
 
Pyrénées: BigorreMountains & Rocks
 
3000'ers of the PyreneesMountains & Rocks