Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.87929°N / 100.58336°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6430 ft / 1960 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

We`ve all heard that name but this mountain was named after the mountaineering club that first climbed it many decades ago, having nothing to do with it`s huge cousin. This peak lies in the heart of the Sierra del Fraile range and it is not very prominent or attractive wich may explain why it is only climbed ocasionally by few people. There are two routes to it`s summit, one from the north and one from the south, the second one being the most attractive since it runs through three beautiful pine forested plateaus, it is called Meseta del Everest route. Some people climb it from the south side and continue down to the north side finishing at the town of Hidalgo, making it a long day of climbing. The routes are basically easy hikes on moderately steep slopes at times and a little bit of scrambling near the summit. The summit itself is covered with pines and scrubby vegetation wich limit the view from the northwest to the northeast, nevertheless it has a terrific view of the knife edged Cabeza de Sapo to the southwest, Pico Zorros to the east and also nice views of Cerro Cuadrado and Pico San Miguel to the south.

Getting There

The following are the instructions for reaching the southern route, wich is the most popular one. From the town of Monterrey driving west on highway 40 about 25 Km to the intersection with the Villa de Garcïa highway, turn north and drive another 20 Km, keep driving north through the town and eventually into the valley inside Sierra del Fraile, just past the Grutas de Garcïa (caverns) entrance take the middle dirt road that later turns east and keep going upon a "Y" split, then take the left fork wich ends by some big blue pipes that go into the ground , this road is about 2.5 Km long. There is a nice big area for parking. The northen route is reached after driving northeast about 35 Km on highway 53 to the town of Hidalgo, from there follow the signs leading to the Potrero Chico canyon (one of the best places for sport climbing in México), drive past that area and then to the base of the next range about 3 Km away to the trailhead.

Red Tape

No permits are required to climb.

When To Climb

In the coll fall and winter months, October through March.

Camping

Camping is allowed, no fees. On the southern route there are many great spots on the plateaus, but the best ones are on the Mesa de los Pinos and Meseta del Everest.

Mountain Conditions

Inquire locally for current conditions.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mountains of Nuevo LeónMountains & Rocks