Pilot Rock Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
SiskiyouYeti

SiskiyouYeti - May 8, 2007 5:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Directions Note

I had quite an adventure trying to follow these directions, having turned left at the initial fork rather than right (the fork is not mentioned in the directions). The more specific directions below might help:

From 99, turn onto Pilot Rock Road, which becomes BLM 41-2E-33. At the first fork in the road, turn right. Now you're on BLM 41-2E-3. After this, stay to the left through any forks, and you will remain on BLM 41-2E-3, which terminates in the parking lot.

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - May 8, 2007 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank you

for the info! I'm sorry you got sidetracked. I'll put your clarification in the route directions. Don

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Oct 28, 2008 12:40 am - Voted 10/10

Driving Directions

I'd just make one change to avoid the one major opportunity for a wrong turn. Instead of "Follow this for 2.75 miles and find the parking lot at the end of the road", you could say: "Follow this for 2.75 miles (bearing right at a gravel pit about 2 miles in) and find the parking lot at the end of the road."

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Oct 29, 2008 11:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Driving Directions

Good idea and thanks for the comment. I'll make the changes.

Don

FarNorCal

FarNorCal - Sep 16, 2009 7:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Updated Directions

Yet another update for you. I just made the trek up to Pilot Rock today (9-16-09) and found that in March of this year, the area was designated the Soda Mountain Wilderness Area and the route is blocked off from the cinder pit. I took a pic. of the sign on a new camera that I'm just getting used to but could send it or add it if you'd like.
Cheers

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Aug 24, 2014 10:25 pm - Voted 10/10

update

7/17/14 the trail has been changed. First, the former road that you veer right at the rock quarry site is now blocked. You park in the old rock quarry. Hike up the road, lots of signs now. Don't know what the trail was like before but they appear to have altered it for erosion control now.

NorCalNomad

NorCalNomad - Oct 13, 2017 9:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Possible in the winter...BUT..

Last thanksgiving I climbed Pilot Rock with technical ice tools and crampons up the normal 3/4th class gulley. Was an interesting dicey mixture of being able to swing into some spots of ice and drytooling/veriglass in others. No real places to throw gear unless you used pitons (please don't), maybe rp's would work. MAYBE later in the season you would be able to throw screws into the pools that are formed at the horizontal steps in the rock. So really you should be comfortable on soloing 4/5th glass mixed climbing if you want to have a go at it when it's snowy. Going to go up there around Christmas this year to see how it looks mid winter.
I'll be posting an actual trip report with photos but wanted to drop this here for people who might have wondered about the possibility of mid winter missions.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Pilot Rock' main page