Pinal & Papago (Hollenback) Points, Grand Canyon

Pinal & Papago (Hollenback) Points, Grand Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.02285°N / 111.88441°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pinal and Papago (Hollenback) Points sit on the South Rim of Grand Canyon to the west of Lipan Point. They can provide you with some of the best views of the canyon despite the fact that they are fairly unknown and no trail goes to them. From an un-marked spot on Route 64, a half a mile hike in the forest on flat terrain can take you to the rim of the canyon. You can then follow the rim to Papago and Pinal Points (unmarked) before returning to the starting place creating a 4 mile loop hike. In contrast to the extremely crowded Rim Trail, you are unlikely to see any other people on this hike.

 

Getting There

The starting point for this hike is an unmarked pull-off by Route 64 (South Rim Drive) 3 miles to the east of the branch road that goes to Moran Point and 2 miles to the west of the branch road to Lipan Point. There is enough parking space for 2-3 vehicles (see map).

 

 

Route Description/Trip Report

Hike length: 4.0 mile loop

Elevation Range: 7120-7365 ft

 

 

Left the parking area at 9 AM. Headed northwest into the juniper forest following the path that I had entered into my GPS. The moon was visible. The forest was open enough to not require bushwhacking. During the hike, every 45 minutes or so, 3-4 sightseeing helicopters flew over me at low altitude creating a nuisance.

 

In the forest with the moon
In the forest with the moon

 

After half a mile, I reached the edge of the canyon, which ran north-south at that spot. Great view of the canyon to the northwest.

 

Looking northwest
Looking northwest

 

View west/southwest toward Zuni Point.

 

Looking toward Zuni Point
Looking toward Zuni Point

 

Looking north at Papago Point.

 

Papago Point
Papago Point

 

Followed the rim north to reach Papago Point. Went over a 3-4 ft wide “neck” with steep drop-offs on both sides to reach the top of a peninsula.

 

The neck
The neck

 

Went a short distance to the west end of the peninsula. Reaching the very end required going down and then back up a “tower” and might have needed some degree of rock climbing which I was not willing to do all alone.

 

Tower at the west end of Papago Point
Tower at the west end of Papago Point

 

Humphreys Peak visible 48 aerial miles to the south. Kendrick Peak to the right of it.

 

Humphreys & Kendrick Peaks
Humphreys & Kendrick Peaks

 

Looking northwest.

 

Looking northwest
Looking northwest

 

Looking southwest.

 

Looking southwest
Looking southwest

 

Looking north and northeast. Escalante and Cardenas Buttes plus Comanche Point seen.

 

Escalante & Cardenas Buttes plus Comanche Point
Escalante & Cardenas Buttes plus Comanche Point
From the rim
From the rim

 

 

I then went back over the “neck” leaving the peninsula and began to follow the rim northeast and later east.

Looking back at the “tower” at the end of Papago Point.

 

Papago Point tower
Papago Point tower

 

Views along the rim.

 

On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim

 

I then reached a spot where the rim of the canyon turned south. That was (or was at least close to) Pinal Point. Sat there to eat and enjoy the views. Zoomed view north.

 

Zoomed view north from Pinal Point
Zoomed view north from Pinal Point

 

Desert View Watchtower (zoomed).

 

Zoomed view of Desert Watchtower
Zoomed view of Desert Watchtower

 

Looking west.

 

From Pinal Point
From Pinal Point

 

Then followed the rim south.

 

On the rim
On the rim
On the rim
On the rim

 

 

I then left the rim and went into the forest heading south and then southwest following the path that I had entered into my GPS until I reached my car. The path was 1.2 miles long and followed a small drainage in the forest.

 

 

 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.